Fedora Core 4 & 5 troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

santu_29

Journeyman
please write all troubleshooting related things for fc. theres always someone who can learn from it. :lol:

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
There is no particular troubleshooting tip for FC4 and other Distros, u can always visit this:www.tldp.org and see the various HOWTOs.

Also there are various threads running in this topic and u will get a problem and/or confusion only wen u are actually using any of the LINUX distros..... :wink:

Cheers n e-peace.....

OP
santu_29

santu_29

Journeyman
thats right , i only wanted to make this thread a common ground for all fc users so one can easily browse throught the problems faced by others. :D

praka123

left this forum longback
there are better distros than Fedora Core...like Debian GNU/Linux,Ubuntu,Gentoo Linux etc..this is my personal opinion :)

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ santu

Hey i agree to u bro :) i too want a thread (like a sticky) for diferent Widely used and most popular distros like a sticky for FC,Gentoo, Debian etc... Nice thought bro :)

Cheers n e-peace....

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
I guess im posting the correct thing here, If not then mods do advise me..

Well, I hv FC4 and today i wanted to surf the Digit March-06' CD wich contained the Linux utilities, now first of all:

1.) I wana knw that how can i make the CD Autorun and see a GUI. I was able to browse the CD like this (folder-to-folder browsing):
*images1.pictiger.com/thumbs/71/27d41843e9709c5d1f1bc387fb0ddb71.th.jpg

2.) There were s/wares given in the Linux section like Mplayer (movie player), XMMS (multimedial player) , Amarok and k3b (CD-DVD burning s/ware) but wen i installed (extracted to Home folder) them, i was shown a screen like this:
*images1.pictiger.com/thumbs/d1/35f0ad984f6b01bd75e56995b1b0f3d1.th.jpg
This is an Mplayer folder screenshot, now tell me how do i use the s/ware by clicking wich Icon ?? :?

3.) Also, if i install any Linux s/ware (from Digit CD/DVD) in a Windows Drive and since my Windows partition is mounted in Linux too, will i be able to use that s/ware in Linux from the mounted drive?

4.) Are the s/wares given in Digit CDs for Linux, can be installed for any Linux OS (Like FC4...) ?

Awating Simple replies guys......

Cheers n e-peace.....

naveenchandran

In the zone
ashu888ashu888 said:
2.) There were s/wares given in the Linux section like Mplayer (movie player), XMMS (multimedial player) , Amarok and k3b (CD-DVD burning s/ware) but wen i installed (extracted to Home folder) them, i was shown a screen like this....

This is an Mplayer folder screenshot, now tell me how do i use the s/ware by clicking wich Icon ?? :?

those are the sources you have to compile them..
open the terminal and cd to the folder and type

./configure
make
make install

Read the instructions given for it. It will be in the same directory :p
also check out the man pages....

ashu888ashu888 said:
3.) Also, if i install any Linux s/ware (from Digit CD/DVD) in a Windows Drive and since my Windows partition is mounted in Linux too, will i be able to use that s/ware in Linux from the mounted drive?

Linux softwares on windows drive :? I don't understand what u mean

ashu888ashu888 said:
4.) Are the s/wares given in Digit CDs for Linux, can be installed for any Linux OS (Like FC4...) ?

If they are sources you can compile them they work on all distro's...
If distro specific rpm's etc... are distro specific ;)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Please do not install linux softwares on windows partition. It is OK to keep software's installer but not the software.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
tech wrote:
Please do not install linux softwares on windows partition. It is OK to keep software's installer but not the software.
Ok thanx for the info bro :) Actually for one s/ware i kept the installer and for other s/ware i kept the whole s/ware so was jus confirming.

santu wrote:
are you installing from rpms, better you install via yum, itll install all in a flash.
Can u pelase explain howto using Yum for installing?? I guess Yum is the Internet updater s/ware tool for s/wares Right ?? If no, then please explain... :?

naveen wrote:

./configure
make
make install

Read the instructions given for it. It will be in the same directory
also check out the man pages....
Ok, i will try that and let u knw, BTW are the man (a.k.a manual, if im not wrong.. :? ) how to recognise them in the s/ware folder, do they hv a specific extension.. ?? or a name?

Cheers n e-peace.....

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
for installing using yum

Code:
yum install <packagename>
eg: yum install mplayer

Visit Stanton Finley Notes for more info.

Before installing from source always read README and INSTALL files.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
ashu you can access man pages by typing at the console
Code:
man <command>
eg.
Code:
man yum
for viewing manual pages of yum

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Tech @ desertwind

Thanx for ur replies guys. I will try that Yum thingy out and post my results....

Cheers n e-peace

aakash

Broken In
How do I setup my internet connection in FC5? i.e I want to enter my IP add, SubnetMast, and the DNS settings. From where to do?

digen

Youngling
If you need a GUI solution,then at the prompt

#system-config-network

or else editing the file for your NIC

#vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

The above file will consist parameters like IP Addressing,Netmask,Default Gateway...

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
ONBOOT=yes

As for DNS entries you will have to add them to the /etc/resolv.conf file.

#vi /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 4.2.2.1
nameserver 4.2.2.2

Substitute the values for what you want according to your ISP settings.The values i've given just as a example.

aakash

Broken In
I read in a forum somewhere that of GUI, i should write: system-config-network-gui. Neways what should I do exactly? Is this ok?

1. Login as root (I suppose '#' says it all)
2. Open Terminal
3. now write '#system-config-network' or just 'system-config-network'?

I will try both ways. Now after the configuration, will my internet work or some more changes are required?

digen

Youngling
You could run the command from a normal user too,it would prompt you for root's password.

The command is "system-config-network" excluding the quotes ofcourse.

$system-config-network

I dont see a reason for this not working unless ofcourse your ISP settings are different.

Btw what type of internet connection is it?

aakash

Broken In
The basic thing is that I get to confused with what the linux replies when I type that command. My internet connection is of VSNL that works on Cable. I will try my best and let you know what happens.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
desertwind wrote:
for installing using yum

Code:
yum install <packagename>

eg: yum install mplayer

Visit Stanton Finley Notes for more info.
naveenchandran wrote:
@ Tech

Hey guys, i tried to install the MPlayer for LINUX from the terminal and using yum by logging in as root and i got this:
*images1.pictiger.com/thumbs/8f/6023df0ac0fe5bfe5e9a36fb35d0768f.th.jpg
Guys,

1.) Now i guess b4 doin anything i will hv to update yum via net connection(a thread started by me for my Net connection is running here: www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40780 ).And im facing problems even there so help needed there too :(

2.) But even while normal installation as naveen said:
I did that (as already u guys can see in the screenshot) but no fruitful results.

3.) I referred the Stanton Finley notes, but after goin thru the notes for yum,yumex and flash for FC4, i found out that i will hv to update the packages of yum and FC4 to proceed further but again same problem of my net connection (as given in this link www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40780 )
So Cant i d/load the updates for Yum and FC4 (by the link given in Stanton Finley) and save the update installers (if any) in my Windows partition and access it in Linux (as the Windows drive is mounted in Linux) and install the updates using the cd command to the particular folder from terminal?? please tell me how to install the s/wares.

4.) If digit gave any flash installers for LINUX in any of its previous issues...

Cheers n e-peace.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom