Fedora Core 3 problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.

[lokesh]

Journeyman
Hi guys,

I just installed Fedora Core 3 in my Windows XP Pro comp. on a seperate partition. I am now having a lot of problems in Linux.....it's like i am sitting on a hot stove....

1. First thing i am unable to see any of the other partitions in windows. How do browse the other files [ like movies, songs etc.] in the other partitions from fc3. Nor i am able to see that single linux partition in windows explorer...it has disappeared.

2. Fc3 does not detect my modem...but it works fine in Windows Xp pro. What can i do about that ??

3. I am not able to play any Mp3 files in fc3...it says it needs some codecs just to play an MP3....this is too bad...i thought Fc3 comes bundled with everything just like Windows 98 and up versions....

If windows hadn't been there...and instead Linux was the only Os available...i am damn sure it would have been the worst night mare for me...

My thanks to Microsoft....

Guys now if any of you know the way the solve these problems....

nixcraft

Journeyman
Do you have any idea that Linux and open source software are for nerds don’t blame to Linux and give special thanks to M$ as far as your problem concerns I wish you could have tried search in this forum only or better at google.co.in/linux

OP
L

[lokesh]

Journeyman
@nixcraft
I have no intensions of blaming on Linux...in fact i love Linux coz it's the most secure out there on the net...the proof is majority of the servers on the internet are backed up with Linux OS....
It's not that nerds don't use a modem or nerds don't listen to music.....these modem installation etc..are very basic things...and in fact if i am now able to post this message only because of windows...if windows hadn't been there at all , just think of it....i couldn't get any help from you gentlemen. So that's why i thanked Microsoft...it's not a kind of special....

firewall

In the zone
hi,
here is your solutions .... ;)

1. For that make sure you have mounted all your windows partitions. On how to to mount your windows partitions ( FAT32 or NTFS ) here is a nice article: *linux.org.mt/article/winmount

2. If it is a internal modem, the you are out of lcuk. Most internal modems are winmodem and your FC3 box will not recognise it. and if it is an external one then try to get the correct driver for that.
for more on this winmodem and linmodem visit : www.linmodems.org/

3.Assuming that you are trying to play the .mp3 files using xmms. Redhat has few licensing issues with .mp3. Use any other media player or remove the default xmms and install a fresh one from www.xmms.org , you ca nplay .mp3 files with no troubel.

[lokesh said:
]
If windows hadn't been there...and instead Linux was the only Os available...i am damn sure it would have been the worst night mare for me...

I think you are in hurry. There are lots of people are here who dont use windows. And all of them are not very nerd.

[lokesh said:
]

My thanks to Microsoft....

Not everyone think like you .. see my signature .. ;)

:)

OP
L

[lokesh]

Journeyman
@firefall
Thanks for your solutions.

I checked out that link, it's like greek & latin to me...but i think i can catch onto it in some time.

Well, yes mine is an internal modem...and as you said i think i can never browse the internet from FC3....hmmm..too bad..

It was not xmms player but instead it had some other i don't remember. I also tried to install a seperate player from Digit's March DVD, but it shooted up an error message stating that it needed a lame mp3 file in order to continue installation..

I was not in a hurry...coz just imagine that i am having an internal modem...and linux does not support internal modem, then how could i ever taste internet from my PC without Windows. That was the only reason that made me comment like that. I am sayin again i mean no offence over Linux[ i still love Linux]....i just thanked Microsoft for whatever they provided me...lol...and more to say i love Open source very much....

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
*www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc3.shtml

:sigh:

i have mentioned this around 20 times in this forum :p just need gnurag to make sum of the posts... sticky...

neways look out for the xmms solution on this page....

djmykey

Let the music play.....
the xmms solution and the modem thread pls sticky it gnu coz lotsa ppl asking same questions.

nixcraft

Journeyman
Hey djmykey mail2and that is what i'm pointing search it or list is don't post same stuff again and again....

hafees

In the zone
try xine. u may need to download 2 RPMs. then even if give u some dependecy error force it to install by giving rpm -ivh --nodeps xine-lib-***
and rpm -ivh --nodeps xine-pg...
Or try another one like Mandrake or Suse.

try PCQ Linux 2005. it is a customized version of FC3. it has everything u want. DivX, MP3, mpg,real etc etc

OP
L

[lokesh]

Journeyman
Thank you guys for the replies and solutions....but it is getting tougher for me, i think i will wait till Digit releases it's modified version any Linux Distro with all the plugins built in. [ similar to PCQ]

ujjwal

Padawan
About the modem - could you tell me which chipset it has? Check Device manager in windows, and if it is a conexant chipset, you may be able to get it to work :)

KHUBBU

Journeyman
Hey Ujjwal can we have more info on that, mine is a conexant one( D-link) I downloaded a utility that identified it as Rockwell. I have also downloaded scanmodem (linux app) but havent checked it in linux.

And please also tell what is this 14.4 kbps limit on internel modem.

And I think Linux being such a good OS should sincerely declare In BIG BOLD letters a warning to new users that their Internel Modem may not work with the OS.

OP
L

[lokesh]

Journeyman
@pradeep_chauhan
Atleast i hope that Digit makes one.... :)

@ujjwal
Wow!...yes it has a Conexant chipset....what can be done ??

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
I have already made an attempt to collectively organize all the useful threads in the Topics covered sticky.. Please point out the deserving threads to me so that it can be listed there... I dont want to flood this section with too much stickies...

@lokesh, Its not like Linux doesn't support internal modems... Its the other way round.. Your modem does not support Linux...

Tell me one thing, When you purchased your internal modem, Did it come with a CD? Which drivers did it contain? Probably it came with only Windows drivers.. Why didn't the hardware vendour bundle Linux compatible drivers?? Every hardware needs drivers to run, and your hardware came with only windows drivers... Then why blame Linux that it does not detect your hardware?

I chose my hardware wisely. I do not need a single driver CD to run my system and everything is autodetected.

firewall

In the zone
KHUBBU said:
And I think Linux being such a good OS should sincerely declare In BIG BOLD letters a warning to new users that their Internel Modem may not work with the OS.

Why not you ask the Modem Manufacturer to provide/write driver for GNU/LINUX. Its not the OS' part. In your word the hardware vendors should declare in BOLD letters that they are so dumb to release the driver of their product for GNU/LINUX.

hafees

In the zone
And please also tell what is this 14.4 kbps limit on internel modem
recently linuxant.com goes paid. they do not offers drivers anymore. u should pay for their service. you can get a free trial with a speed limit of 14.4 kbps. that means ur download speed will be 14.4/8 Kilobytes instead of 56/8 kilo bytes per second. so have to wait more to load a page (more than 4 times )
for more about linuxant and to know what they 've to say visit
*www.linuxant.com/drivers/

hafees

In the zone
Why not you ask the Modem Manufacturer to provide/write driver for GNU/LINUX. Its not the OS' part. In your word the hardware vendors should declare in BOLD letters that they are so dumb to release the driver of their product for GNU/LINUX.
Exactly :)
if they can write their driver pgms for WIndows y cant they write it for Linux. the Linux ppl are trying hard to write drivers for these devices. They r doing it just for the common people like us. They dont need the damn money.

KHUBBU

Journeyman
firewall said:
KHUBBU said:

Ya sure they shud provide it but all through the process of learning about linux i never came across this limitation. thats why I felt that way. Btw my pinnacle pctv got automatically configured without any driver problem. my I-key keyboard special keys got automatically configured without any driver so i was expecting the same for the modem also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom