Status
Not open for further replies.

coolblue

Broken In
Hi

First install feedback:
Fedora Core 4 is AWFUL!!!

Serial mouse won't work even after install! Had to edit xorg.conf
FC4 is faster than FC3 but still much slower than Kubuntu/Ubuntu!
Bootup time is more than 2 minutes!! It takes ages to configure the network interface!
Pretty slow!
YOU CANNOT COMPILE ANY KDE APPS BECAUSE THE NEWEST VERSION OF GCC WHICH COMES IN
FEDORA IS BLACKLISTED! THIS IS THE MOST FRUSTRATING THING! YOU'LL HAVE TO REMOVE
GCC 4 AND INSTALL AN OLDER VERSION!
Setting up yum and enabling repos is such a geeky cumbersome job for newbies!

I was so excited about Fedora but this is it!

Plz give Suse 9.3 Pro - IT HAS BEEN RELEASED AND IS FREE FOR DOWNLOAD!

EVERYONE WILL BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!

Suse has the latest of everything with Java, Flash, RealPlayer preinstalled and it
has the working version of gcc so u can compile ANYTHING!! And with Gnome 2.10
and KDE 3.4 IT ROCKS!!

PLZ GIVE SUSE 9.3 NEXT MONTH. IT COMES IN 5 CDS SO U CAN GIVE AS DVD.

See
*www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1833908,00.asp
*distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=suse

gauravnawani

Journeyman
I am feeling strange that you fing fedora4 so bad. But then it may be your personal experience. Fedora4 om my machine loads in nearly 50Sec flat. Its about 10Secs faster than Fedora3.

If you live in Bangalore take my old PS2 mouse for free ;)

Again I never faced any problems with Network card configuring save for the problemetic cables. You cannot get every thing in a distro like Fedora especially if your are a kde fan. Fedora always have bleeding edge softwares it ought to cut if you are not careful enough ;)

ujjwal

Padawan
Well I don't like RPM distributions in general, and though I haven't tried fedora core 4, I don't plan to either.

Anyway, about the request for Suse 9.3 on the DVD, I think that was discussed, not enough adventureous users/existing linux users among digit's readership to warrant a dedication of nearly a complete DVD to a distro ;)

But considering August is supposed to be the linux month for digit, well, request away in the "Digitized" forum section.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
FC4 is faster than the previous FC3.Its not so bad.Many linux distro`s don`t work on my system that does not mean they suck.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Hmm..
I don't think SUSE isn't free to distribute.. u can free download directly only.

Me going to confirm that...

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Ricky said:
Hmm..
I don't think SUSE isn't free to distribute.. u can free download directly only.
You cannot redistribute SuSE's latest series. Its not about licensing, but its rather a copyright voilation issue.

But then, of course you can redistribute their latest versions provided that you remove all of the Novell's trademarks and labels/logos. Trademark laws to not allow one to make money in the name of someone else and his efforts.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I hate the whole FC and RH series due to one problem - NO NTFS SUPPORT (read/write)

Though read can be managed, i cant find a damned write patch for it

But as a linux OS alone (without windows), FC4 is good enough with lots of features.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
But FC4 is very backward in some senses. I believe SuSE 9.3 Pro is the best option to provide.. However, I don't understand how it is not free to distribute.. Go to www.roseindia.net They are providing SuSE 9.3 Pro on 5CDs for the cost of CDs and handling.. What do I make of that and breaking TM laws??

gauravnawani

Journeyman
//siddhartha// said:
But FC4 is very backward in some senses. I believe SuSE 9.3 Pro is the best option to provide.. However, I don't understand how it is not free to distribute.. Go to www.roseindia.net They are providing SuSE 9.3 Pro on 5CDs for the cost of CDs and handling.. What do I make of that and breaking TM laws??

In which way do you feel Fedora is to be backwards. In very general terms I would say that Fedora is geared towards corporate desktops and suse mostly for a desktop.

Those guys either dont know what they are doing or they know for sure that they are pretty away from the 'long arm of the law' ;).

SUSE linux is not free it costs about 40$ 5CDs and they have only one disk available for free and that too for evaluation. kiraninfotech provide that evaluatin CD.

But good news that suse will be soon "opensuse" just like fedora.

sba

Journeyman
SuSE is free to distribute until you don't make any money out of it. This thing about copyright and stuff was lifted when 9.1 was launched. Anyone can distribute it now until they don't make any money out of it...

gauravnawani

Journeyman
sba said:
SuSE is free to distribute until you don't make any money out of it. This thing about copyright and stuff was lifted when 9.1 was launched. Anyone can distribute it now until they don't make any money out of it...
True but the thing is they are making money from it. A cd costs about 10 and they are charging abour 40-45 from it. To remove additonal burden they also ask you to include the distribution(courier codst).

samjkd

Broken In
Hai

I have used pcqlinux 2005(based on fedora core 3) and redhat 9.0 both of then were slow on my comp. Then I used Debian Linux, it is really faster. All debian based distros r faster than redhat. i have p4 1.7Ghz and 128 MB SD RAM.

sba

Journeyman
gauravnawani said:
True but the thing is they are making money from it. A cd costs about 10 and they are charging abour 40-45 from it. To remove additonal burden they also ask you to include the distribution(courier codst).
You provide them cheaper CDs...
This kind of explanation can never be held in a court of law, if and when, SuSE decides to sue the site. There are various sites on net distributing free version of SuSE at different prices in name of the cost of CDs and handling, so there is no long or short arm of law existing in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom