FEDORA 4 + I NEED HELP!!! (same probs as SUSE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
hi all..
I am running Fedora Linux 10 (tried earlier with suse 10) on my Compaq Presario M2202TU Notebook.
There are couple of things i need help in..
I connect to the internet using my college LAN network. In windows xp, this means that i just plug in the LAN cable to the ethernet card, and it automatically gets connected. I do not have to set any Static IP address. IP address is automatically set.
These are the details as I see it in Windows XP
Address Type : Assigned by DHCP
IP Address : 134.x.x.x
Default Gateway : 134.x.x.x
DNS Server : 134.x.x.x

Now I have no issues at all with windows. The connection is via the college proxy server, which I have to authenticate with my username & password. But I have been unsuccessful in setting up the network in SUSE. My ethernet card is detected properly (Realtech RTL8139 Family PCI Fast NIC). Could you please help me configure the network? I have tried tweaking around with YAST, but have had no success.

Secondly, I have a usb mouse, which again is not detected in Linux. How to I get that to work?

Thirdy, I have problems with the sound card. My sound card is also detected (Conextant AC-Link Audio AC'97), but there is no sound output. How do I reslolve that?

And lastly, how do I mount my USB flash disk in linux? Its not like Ubuntu (which I used before), where it would automatically mount as I plug it in.

I know its a lot of questions, but any help would be appretiated.

Thankx..
Peace...
adi

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
1. System administration --> Networking configuration --> Network base configuration. You can select "Automatically obtain IP address using dhcp" there for your NIC.

2. This is strange. That must work. What is your make of the mouse ?

3. Have you checked the volume levels ? Is there any error while playing any sound, there is a chance that the volume levels are muted by default.

4. try to mount your disk manually using the following command

$ mount /dev/sda

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
1. I have already selected 'Automatically obtain IP address via dhcp', but it does not connect.

2. My mouse is an unbranded one. Its one of the 'Made In china' ones. LOL. But anyhow, under winxp it gets detected as 'PS/2 Compatible Mouse'

3. I cannot even open the volume levels, as I get the error message 'No Mixer Device'

4. Will try that. Isn't there anyway to automount it everytime I plug it in?

Satissh S

Youngling
2. Hmmm.. there is the downfall ;)
Do the following,
Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf in your favourite text editor, Now change the protocoll type
Option "Protocol" "usb"
to usb in the mouse configuration section. Save and close the file. Now you shud have mouse workin'.

3. Open a terminal and run alsamixer as root (su in), press m to unmute the Master and the PCM sections and raise their levels by about 70 odd and press [ESC] to quit.
I that doesn't work,
Post the output of
# lspci | grep audio

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
@Satissh
Did what you said to configure the mouse. Still no luck on that.
As for the sound, alsamixer gave an error:
'function snd_ctl_open failed for default : No such device'

Here is the output of lspci | grep audio
00:1e Multimedia audio controller: Interl Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

@Desertwind
I tried to mount the usb drive as you said. No hopes there either.

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
and for diagnostics of my network problem, here's the output of ifconfig

Link encap: Local Loopback
inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope: Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric: 1
RX Packets: 2637 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX Packets: 2637 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collissions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes: 159518 (155.7kb)
TX bytes: 159518 (155.7kb)

mediator

Technomancer
HI,
1) Try to ping ur college proxy server. If it doesnt affirm then it might be some other connection problem...but if it affirms...then its probably ur dhcp settings not working on for Suse. Try to manually fill in the dhcp settings(server) in the ethernet configuration.

2)For the mouse u may buy a usb to ps/2 or serial converter and then try again!

3)For sound check if ur volume is not mute or low.
Then there is an option for 'external amplifier' in sound section. Enable it!

4)Lastly, for mounting usb disk....Make a new folder say "/mnt/usb"..Now try mounting the usb by commanding "mount /dev/sda /mnt/usb"!
Check whether its sda or sdb etc!

I hope dats solves the problem!!

Satissh S

Youngling
Try to change the "protocol" to "auto" or"microsoft" or "logitech" and try again.
For audio,
Do as root.,
modprobe snd-intel8x0
modprobe snd-hda-intel
Try the above and post back.
Refer to this ALSA page if you want guidance.
*www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Intel#matrix

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
@mediator...
thanks for your reply, but i've still gotten nowhere.

1. i tried pinging my coll DNS server, all I got was "No Connection Available". And i really dont know where to put in the dhcp server configurations (im not even too sure what they are)

2. i think i'll give up on the mouse. i can do well with my touchpad

3. Mute was the 1st thing I checked, and that's not the problem.

4. And for mounting the usb, after i give mount /dev/sda or sbd, i get "No Such Device"..

Why is Linux such a pain??

naveenchandran

In the zone
@adit_sen

are u connecting your USB Devices to the docking station or directly to your notebook?

If it is not working after booting into linux try unplugging and replugging the device....

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
i'm connecting it directly to the notebook. i dont have a docking station. come to think of it, no usb device seems to work in linux. i had fedora core 4 before suse 10, and i had the same issue there, with the sound, usb and the network!!

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
adit_sen said:
i'm connecting it directly to the notebook. i dont have a docking station. come to think of it, no usb device seems to work in linux. i had fedora core 4 before suse 10, and i had the same issue there, with the sound, usb and the network!!

That's one of the wierdiest statement I've ever heard of a linux distro. I've been using gnu/linux(only) for past 8 years and I've rarely faced any troubles with usb. (except for some handycams).

Well, after plugging in the usb disk please issue the following command from a terminal window and post out put here.
Code:
fdisk -l

Also check whether your usbdisk's led is blinking or on while inserted.

After pluggin in the usb disk and usb mouse, please issue the following command from a terminal window and post output here.
Code:
cat /proc/modules

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
adit_sen I too use a USB mouse and it works fine though I have to do some fiddling around in some distros. Here's the part of my xorg.conf which relates to mouse, it might help you.
Code:
ection "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection
BTW I use IBM USB mouse.
See if this helps you.

Satissh S

Youngling
@riyaz: Eight Years!!! WOW! I'm just one up and already i've been addicted to this linux box of mine. And you , EIGHT years!! :D
@adit:
*www.linux-laptop.net/
This might just help you. Choose your vendor from the right for some quirks specific on that.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
@Satissh: Yes, My first distro was Red Hat Linux 5.1 (codename Manhattan), on some mid 1998's. I really doesn't remember where I get it, Along with RH Linux Bible or PCQuest. I moved on to gnu/linux by early 1999, and since then MyPC has witnessed no Windows. I've used Windows since that only in the following places.

1. My Office
2. School/College Lab
3. Public internet cafes
4. My friends home.

There was one funny experience for me while on a cafe, in some 2001 or so. Inspite of one (and only one) cabin being free, the owner refused me to offer the cabin. When asked fr reason, I was answered "It's not that the usual one. It's some other else". He was unable to clear my anxiety, and I decided to check out myself, what is this "The Other One". To my surprise, what I found there was a PC installed with SuSE Linux. And he himself was unable to use that PC. He told me that it was some freakin joke by his friend, who formatted the PC, and installed SuSE onto it.;)

digen

Youngling
adit_sen said:
and for diagnostics of my network problem, here's the output of ifconfig

Link encap: Local Loopback
inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope: Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric: 1
RX Packets: 2637 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX Packets: 2637 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collissions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes: 159518 (155.7kb)
TX bytes: 159518 (155.7kb)

I dont see a ethernet interface except the loopback interface, are you sure you have activated the correct ethernet interface?

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
there is only one ethernet card that shows up in the Yast Network devices, and that is the only one which is activated. If there's something wrong, please tell me how to rectify it..
Thankx

mediator

Technomancer
Yea i too think ur ethernet isnt activated! Please make one ethernet connection if u dont have one in the "network connection setting wizard"...find it urself..i never experienced suse!

praka123

left this forum longback
post ur
Code:
[prakash@sarge:~# lsmod
here.if ur eth card is detected try
Code:
prakash@sarge:~#ifconfig eth0 up
and ping the proxy server.i assume u already configured eth using Yast.i dont use Suse now,i thing in /etc/sysconfig/...somewhere u'll find ifcfg-eth0 file.just check it for ip addrs set properly.

For Audio it must be autodetected using alsaconf command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom