FC5 is full of bugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
I am sorry to say that FC5 is full of bugs specially the installation procedure. I downloaded FC5 cds out of which fourth cd was corrupt. My CD-rom was unable to detect it. I had to again download the fourth cd. The night mare didn't ended here. i was finally able to install linux from cdrom but when i tried to install same fc5 using nfs server the process began quite successfully but just when 5 minutes were remaining it hanged and I tried to again install it using a CD-rom

It again hanged just when 8 minutes were remaining

I again tried through cdrom and this time it worked.

Mind you all these events took place on different machines

So hardware was not the issue

Every now and then i see some or the other user posting fc5 problems most of which are related to installation.

Surely fc5 is in trouble waters.

Improving looks is just not the only thing required to develop a good os.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
man, I have a win XP disc. When I boot it via my BenQ drive it says PCI.sys corrupted. Now I put it in the Samsung one and it shows no error at all...

Till date I have installed FC5 (DVD) 4 times and faced no issues at all. Maybe your media burnt is corrupt? Did it pass the test?

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I have two DVD's from two mags , the first one was from one of the Digit rival ;) , it had the CD iso images and the disc 2 was corrupted :(, where as the other one is "Linux F** Y**" and it was a DVD installer. I checked the DVD media and it passed the test. so installation when without a hitch.

\/endett/\

Broken In
Its not FC5, its ur fault. Certainly, with that big download, chances r that the completed download may not have all the pieces. It is best to have a hash check using sha1sum for each of the images u download b4 burning them on media. If the sha1sum doesnt match, then use a torrent client and make sure u get the remaining pieces :)
And yeah, FC 5 does have a bug abt repoting all the media as faulty in the scan disk.

Ps: suggestion: Use slackware/gentoo ;)

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Yes, it's not Fedora at fault , since it's a big download , you need to do hash checking to make sure that your downloaded images does match sha1sum.If it doesn't match, get the remaining chunks from Torrent client. Most of the times Fedora will say that your media is faulty!! That's a bug, that they haven't fixed yet.
You can install Ubuntu & get more than 8 GB of software from their repositories.
Go ahead with Ubuntu rather than irritated with Fedora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom