FC5 GUI Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nach p

Journeyman
I installed FC 5 yesterday.After installation of packages when system reboots it enters into 3rd level .I configured my driver as "vesa" becoz default driver shows out of range.
I have given "init 5".
it entered into GUI mode ,I logged in as root but whole screen appeeared as blank.And it displayed only: MY computer,trash and blank taskbar.When i right clicked in the screen it displayed Application"Gnome background utility" closed down ..... Restarting application
doesnt help.

Need u r help urgently!! :oops: :oops:

naveenchandran

In the zone
which was the default driver?

if you get out of range set the

HorizSync
VertRefresh

values correctly as per your moniter spec...

in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file...

OP
nach p

nach p

Journeyman
:eek: Reinstalled FC5 with KDE.
It entered into runtime level 3.
#system-config-display --set-vsync=50-160
#system-config-display --set-hsync=30-70

then init 5 and it worked.
@ Naveenchandran I opened /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with vi editor but it is blank.

Now I have 2 questions
*How can I switch to Gnome without reinstalling FC &
*How can I enter into GUI mode directly.
Thanks guys gor Help :lol: :lol:

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
1. you can use switchdesk-gnome or you can select DE at the time of login.

2. edit your /etc/inittab file. you'll see a line like

Code:
id:3:initdefault:

change 3 to 5.

OP
nach p

nach p

Journeyman
@Desertwind
I changed default run time level to 5 and its working perfectly.

But still Gnome prob. is not solved.I have not installed Gnome at the time of installation so at the time of log in I cant choose Gnome.I tried to upgrade installation to install Gnome but after boot loader installation,it skipped choosing packages stage and installation finished.
Can i install it directly from FC5 DVD ?

One more prob. ,When I clicked on storage media it showed Permision Denied.I loged in as a root user!!!!!

Thanks for reply

eddie

El mooooo
nach p said:
But still Gnome prob. is not solved.I have not installed Gnome at the time of installation so at the time of log in I cant choose Gnome.I tried to upgrade installation to install Gnome but after boot loader installation,it skipped choosing packages stage and installation finished.
Can i install it directly from FC5 DVD ?
I think FC 5 comes with a Package Manager named Pirut or something like that. It should be there under "main menu --> system --> package manager" or some where around there. If you can't find it, just launch it from a konsole window by typing pirut. From this package manager, you should be able to install GNOME from your DVD.

One more prob. ,When I clicked on storage media it showed Permision Denied.I loged in as a root user!!!!!
Post the contents of /etc/mtab and tell us the drive you are trying to access.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
For installing Gnome:
Click on 'f' on lower left hand side of desktop. Go to 'system' then 'Add/Remove program'. You will understand the rest yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom