faulty SMPS; repair or new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I have a Microtek 350watts SMPS. From past few days the fan of the SMPS is making noises every morning of boot up. After a couple of hit on the out side it stops. Now when I contacted my hardware vendor I found out that the warranty is over. Now I am thinking whether I should repair it or wait it till it stops working completely, & then buy a new SMPS.

Another thing is, is it safe to work with a faulty SMPS fan.

If I have to buy a new one then for an average use (AMD 2600, 2 optical drive, 80GB, planning to buy a grfx card) which company & model I should opt for? What will be the pries?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Replace the fan and you can use the SMPS. I would not suggest that you use the SMPS without the fan as it may cause overheating of some components.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
:!: :!: ..just replace the SMPS with a new one....a 350W SMPS of ny brand will do...but avoid repairing SMPS....it never worked for me...

:wink:

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
If you want to avoid buying a new PSU (SMPS) for now, at least replace the fan at once. Using it until it dies a natural death is not a good idea.

The fan may stop running at any time and you may not notice it amidst the noise made by the CPU fan and other environmental noise. The whole SMPS may then get fried, and at worst, it may damage other components of your computer (not likely, but theoretically possible).

If you're going to get a new PSU and don't want to splurge on one of the more glamorous brands like Antec, at least get one of the cheaper but well-known brands like Mercury or Frontech. iBox PSUs have given me some problems in the past even when new.

godzi_85

In the zone
ya get a new one.

i had a smps problem. a few days ago.. albeit on 32st december :p
i replaced it cause even after repairing it for a few days.. it gave me problems...
better go for a new one..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom