FAT32 from XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivek788

In the zone
I installed an XP SP2 on my new system.I had made all partitions.Now on formatting I get only ntfs as option,I want majority to be fat32 so that i can easily access it from linux.Wasn't there an option to make fat32 drives from xp?DO i have to install 3rd party softwares?if so which one?

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Use convert d: fs:ntfs if you want to convert your d drive to FAT32 or change it to any other drive c,e,f according to the drive you want to change to fat without formatting

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
its a brand new hard disk so nothing to format...but that info was gud...this has to be done in dos na?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Linux can access and write on NTFS partitions. There's no need to convert them back to FAT32 and use that low featured FS.

But still, here's the answer: You can format a drive back to FAT32 but not Convert back to it. In the format dialog box, you can choose from a variety of FS through the drop-down menus. I guess you didn't look there properly cause even Vista has FAT32 in its options!

And as for 3rd party software, try PartitionMagic or maybe Acronis's Partition Expert and such. There's even Ranish if you want something free and a bit dangerously powerful.

Ansvin's solution "convert d: fs:ntfs" will make your drive NTFS, obviously! :| NOT FAT!

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Weird, it must show FAT32!

Ok, try using the format command instead?

Drive:\> FORMAT drive: /FS:FAT

(FAT automatically does FAT32, no worries)

And yes, all Linux distributions support NTFS R/W.

If you can tell me which distribution you're using I can help you install the support for NTFS too. :)

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
currently I havent installed any...i had used debian,ubuntu,fc7,opensuse,pclinuxOS,slackware,gentoo etc...but couldnt get ntfs write except in ubuntu that too not in my system...anyway please tell me how to do in deb based distro...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
For Ubuntu:

Code:
Run: [B]sudo apt-get install ntfs-config[/B]

Then go to [B]Applications > System Tools > NTFS Configuration Tool[/B] and check both the boxes.

For others, the basic way:

Code:
Run: [B]sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g[/B]

Next run: [B]sudo gedit /etc/fstab[/B] and replace all [B]ntfs[/B] found in it with [B]ntfs-3g[/B], save and restart.

(You can replace gedit with kate if you're using KDE)

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
Well, The reason why you are not able to format it to FAT32 is because, FAT32 only has a maximum partition size of 32GB!

Edit: Some people may disagree, Here is the Proof by Microsoft

A Mistake from my side, FAT32 CAN Handle large volume sizes (greater than 32GB), But Windows XP doesn't let you format it greater than 32GB :confused:

As TFA said, you have to boot using a Windows 98/ME startup disk and format it.

Last edited:
OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
@subbzzz I thought so....all my partitions are 35 and above gb.I was planning to partition while installing linux...thats easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom