FAT 32 to NTFS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

indrajit

Journeyman
I'm running Windows XP Professional with SP 2 installed. I'v got a 40 GB HDD with three partitions, C,D and E, C being the primary(system) partition. The D & E drives are configured with NTFS file system but my C drive has FAT32 file system. Is there any way of changing the file system to NTFS without re formatting the partiton and re loading windows? :?:

demoninside

In the zone
ya there is one through DOS
but i suggest not to do it(not due to data loss but due to cluster size)
any way here is the way to do so
go for
run->command
in command prompt type(only in winXP)
convert/?
this will give u all the details in simple manner u can do it like
convert c: /fs :ntfs

JAK

What the Heck !
indrajit said:
I'm running Windows XP Professional with SP 2 installed. I'v got a 40 GB HDD with three partitions, C,D and E, C being the primary(system) partition. The D & E drives are configured with NTFS file system but my C drive has FAT32 file system. Is there any way of changing the file system to NTFS without re formatting the partiton and re loading windows? :?:

Go to Start--> RUN and type " cmd" without the quotes...

then type
"convert c: /fs:ntfs " with out the quotes... :wink:

It will prompt u to do it at next reboot ..say yes... :wink:

theraven

Technomancer
JAK wrote:
Go to Start--> RUN and type " cmd" without the quotes...

then type "convert c: /fs:ntfs " with out the quotes...

It will prompt u to do it at next reboot ..say yes...
perfect solution .. just an addition to the msg. . it'll say u need to unmount the drive and whethere u should force it to unmount .. ofcourse choose no ... then it'll give u the restart option .. that time click yes
and next time search the forum
right here === > *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3568&highlight=fat32+ntfs
see ?? :D

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
Tell me guys if i convert an existing FAT 32 partition in to an NTFS one by the method spoken about above , will i lose the data on the fat 32 partiton?

JAK

What the Heck !
abhishekkulkarni said:
Tell me guys if i convert an existing FAT 32 partition in to an NTFS one by the method spoken about above , will i lose the data on the fat 32 partiton?

Nope u shall not lose any data.... :wink:

ice

In the zone
But converting like this wont give u all the benefits of NTFS, for true NTFS properties, ull need to format and reinstalll. and choose NTFS as the FS while installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom