Extra RAM or Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techmastro

Journeyman
I have p4 2.8 Ghz,256mb ram,intel 865mobo
I am a game freak
Could u please suggest me if i should go for more RAM or buy a graphics card.

please suggest graphics card in case
my budget is 2k.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
go for a grafix card though ur budget is very less but u can get hold of a geforce 5200 128mb ... even if u upgrade ur ram it wont boost the graifx but this card will give ur games a biiiig boost. try companies like xfx/gainward .. u can get xfx for around your budget.

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
Upgrading RAM increases the system overall performance
Upgrading Graphics card will allow u to play all the latest games.
As u are a game freak upgrade graphics card sincerely.

Go for Pine XFX Geforce 5200 128MB .Its available for Rs.2300/-

Check out this site
*sify.com/shopping/product_detail.php?pid=12217&prodid=13737987

Always check whether the card is 128-bit or 64-bit.and buy 128-bit cards only.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
jst a suggestion...dont buy from the website... u will get stuff costly by around 300-400 bucks (or even more). contact ur local rashi peripherals dealer for xfx. he will give u the bst price.

expertno.1

Technomancer
just have a look in the January 2005 digit magazine

...many graphics card tested........choose wisely and paly welll....see it and ur doubts will be clear...........

q3_abhi

Youngling
Go for a graphics card rather then RAM. I suggest u a Ge-Force 5200. This would be a good option for your decent configuration.

OP
T

Techmastro

Journeyman
Thanks guys,
thanks mahesh for link.
does 128mb graphics card allow me to play games like cs,fifa05,cricket05,doom3?

Hells_Fury

In the zone
Its not just the memory that matters in a card, the graphics processor also makes a difference. With a 5200, you should be able to play most games at low/medium settings. Doom 3 might prove to be a problem though. The game has very high system requirments.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
Techmastro said:
does 128mb graphics card allow me to play games like cs,fifa05,cricket05,doom3?

yes u will be able to play all latest games with a geforce 5200 128 mb but at low/medium settings only. dont expect any midblowing perfomance. i use the same card and i know.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
One tiny note. Since the GeForce FX 5200 is an older GeForce 5 class card, it would be easier and a lot more sensible to go in for the low-end GeForce 6200 (not the TurboCache enabled 6200's though) cards from Nvidia. They have the advantage of being the low end cards of the current series, at least. You can pretty much play all latest games at 800x600 with almost all of the effects set to Medium or Low, and with AA/AF turned off.

OP
T

Techmastro

Journeyman
@mohit
with my current ram i am able to play with low/medium settings then what a use such a graphics card.
i want to enjoy game to its full strength
could i expect much in budget of 3.5k

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
First of all don't underestimate FX5200 its quite good card when u see the performance.It is better than all the onboard solutions.But its problem is that it cannot sustain high resolutions in latest games.U can Play latest games at 800 x 600 resolution and all settings at high.But when u increase the resolution in the game to 1024 x 768 then u will see sluggish
Frame rates .I hope u got my point.But it performs good with games which are released before mid 2004.

But this card is mere waste if u want to play games like Doom3,GTA San Andreas .U cant play these games even in 640x480 smoohtly with all setting at low. So, my conclusion is Don't go for this card if u want to play latest(from mid 2004) games.

So for around 3.5k u can go for these cards:

1)Pine XFX 128 MB GEFORCE Fx-5700 Rs 4000 (this card is highly overclockable)
2)Pine XFX 256 MB GEFORCE 6200 Rs 5500 (this would be much future-proof card)

I recommend Radeon 9600XT from Powercolor Rs 5500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom