external tv tuner(usb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishaan

Padawan
hi

could someone suggest a good external usb tv tuner for using with my laptop?

if somebody alredy uses it, cud u temme if it heats up 2 fast? and is the quality the same as a TV or worse or mebe evn better?

is the functionality any diff from an internal tv tuner?

is it portable enuf 2 carry around wid a laptop wile travelling ?

thanks

Sourabh

Laptoping
There are quiet a few options. Best option for sure is the PCTV USB 2.0 which costs about 3k. You NEED a usb 2.0 port along with the drivers installed. I have my eyes on getting this too, so not much aware if it heats up too fast or not.

What do you mean to say is the functionality different. Yea its portable enough to carry and can fit in the laptop carry case easily, but i wonder how a tv-tuner would be of use while travelling.

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
by functionality i meant like the user interface of the product and the software

lol while travelling i meant like if i wanna record something and im in a hotel i can just plug in the wire and start or something hehe

...or i could attach a dish on my car ;) hahaha :lol:

Sourabh

Laptoping
Ohh well, once you get the usb tv-tuner there are loads of PVR software you can try. Bundled PCTV vision is basic, and if it doesnt suit your needs you can try Media Portal, Chris TV and others...Just install the drivers manually and then you can try any program to view your TV.

Ohh man, viewing TV on the laptop in a hotel would leave me somewhat staggered. You can sure try the dish thing on the car, mebbe NDTV profit Innovation would be ringing your doorbell.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
i am using a Compro Videomate Action PRO USB 2.0 (Rs. 4,000/-) tv tuner and the quality is good and there no probs with heating n all .. i just dont like their s/w interface so i am planning to try chris tv .. btw does anybody know about anyother pvr s/w ?? i did not like mediaportal as it was a resource hog.

abhinav

Journeyman
hmm I think there was a Article on this in another PC magazine.
Also there was a article on diGit too.

Check your magazine if possible

Sourabh

Laptoping
mohit said:
i am using a Compro Videomate Action PRO USB 2.0 (Rs. 4,000/-) tv tuner and the quality is good and there no probs with heating n all .. i just dont like their s/w interface so i am planning to try chris tv .. btw does anybody know about anyother pvr s/w ?? i did not like mediaportal as it was a resource hog.

Where did ya get it from and when?

Here is a list of PVR softwares from tv-cards.com

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
are these powered by the USB cable itself or is an external power supply needed?

if its by USB it'l b really cool

@mohit could u pls tell me where u got the Compro Videomate Action PRO USB 2.0 from ?

i asked my pc guy first he said this tech dont exist, then i found d model numbers of the pinnacle PCTV USB2 ones (50e and 100e)

he looked but couldnt find them lol

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@sourabh , ishaan
i got it from mediatech delhi about a month back. and ishaan it is powered by a usb cable itself and no ext power source is reqd.

OP
I

ishaan

Padawan
hey everyone

i got a pinnacle pctv usb2 100e and it totally rocks!

the video quality is as good as the TV's and it looks totally awesum...it has a cool blu light on it insted of red or green

has a nice remote, good enough software, its compact, has SVIDEO, COMPOSITE VIDEO and a sound input port also

if anyone is thinkin over it, go buy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom