External storage medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Can anyone suggest a cheap and reliable external mass storage medium which is cheap and reliable.
I ve heard that some usb converter is available through which
ide hdds can be connected externally by usb.
How much do such gadgets cost n how is the performance.?
If anyone has a secondhand solution lemme know.
Also hoe much do Zip drivescost nowadays?

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
well, u can go for a external HDD's.
they cost around 25-30% more than the usuall HDD's.

See all abt this in nov04 or oct04 DIGIT, they have carried a article on this.

swatkat

Technomancer
I ve heard that some usb converter is available through which
ide hdds can be connected externally by usb.
Yes,there are kits/enclosures which can convert internal/ide hdd to external usb drives.here are two sites,u might be interested:-
*www.addonics.com/products/external_hdd/pocket_exdrive.asp
*www.cooldrives.com/usb20firox912.html
i don't know,these type of products are available in India.

OP
A

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
grinning_devil said:
get a new HDD....they r cheap now-a-adays maaaan!!
else get a DVD writer..pioneer for 4500.....burn as many data u want!!

I dont need ide hdds.
What i need is some external hot swapable medium.

AlienTech

In the zone
Be careful before buying an external chassis.. The chip sets used makes a HUGE difference in the speed of file transfers.. And also the power supplies used can be the difference between killing your drive or not. Do spend time and check out everything. Some good reviews out there on this. The best I like is the ones from like like Maxtor or WDC, they are expensive.. over rs 5000 and they are not the fastest or best but they are safe if you are a novice.. I have a few USB boxes I got for around rs 1500... One of them turned out to be really good.. The other 2 turned out to be really lame with 1 already conked out as the internal power supply seems to not work properly and another one frying one of my hd's using some cheap external Chinese power brick.

The difference between the maxtor power supply made in china and the Chinese power supply is the components and desigens used. One uses US standards of quality while in the other they try to cut costs every which way and it barely works in a good stable environment let alone in india.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom