External hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanku

Broken In
Hello Members ,

I bought an external hard drive ( Enter casing + seagate combo) today . I can see it there in the Device Manager ( as disk drive and USB mass storage device ) but can not find it in 'My Computer' or through 'Windows Explorer' and hence can not use it .

I am using Windows XP with sp2 . :?

Help please and thanks in advance for your replies .

susk21

Broken In
have you installed drivers properly? Some devieces need driver even if it is XP.Also check it in your friend's computer.If it is a CHALU MAAL then it wont work there too!!! :wink:

OP
S

shanku

Broken In
It installed automatically and the device manager does not show any problem . I have received one cd with the packet of the 'Enter' casing . The cd has 3 folders under usb casing called fr5x2 , fr6x2 and fr632a . Since this has been automatically detected and was not prompted to insert the cd , I really do not know if I need to do something with the cd .

So hoping for a solution before I try it in friend's computer ..

contactram

Broken In
in the device manage right click on your hard disk and look at the options
if an "import foreign disks" option is available click on it
or the hard disk can be dynamic in which case u will see an option "activate" or something like that.
i had a similar problem when i formatted my new hard disk to be a dynamic volume

OP
S

shanku

Broken In
Thanks , I solved the problem .. the 'logical disk manager' and the 'removable storage' had been turned off by me ( ref : Digit ,Nov 2003 , tips and tricks , page 88 ) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom