External Hard DRive not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi_shake

Broken In
I have a Maxtor External Hard DRive which is USB 1.1 and 2.0(of course!) compliant. When I connect to my desktop it does not show up in my computer. Under device manager there is an exclamation mark against Mass Storage device and it says that the device cannot start.
The drive works perfectly with my laptop... and i've also tried it with a dozen other pc's too. It has problem in only my pc.
Why?? oh why??

PS :- I think it could be because my windows is pirated...in my laptop its original in other pc's i'm not sure....??? cud this be the problem??

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
no that cannot be a problem... was there any software shipped with the HDD... and try reinstalling the USB driver in ur machine..

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Do you have any other USB Devices to check whether the USB is working properly under Windows XP or Have you enabled in BIOS ?

OP
abhi_shake

abhi_shake

Broken In
@ajayashish - already reinstalled usb driver - drive still not working. - software is inside the drive. According to manual - it is supposed to come up automatically when the drive is plugged in. If it is not then it is supposed to be done manually by going in the drive through my computer. BUT THE DRIVE DOES NOT SHOW UP IN MY COMPUTER.

@techtronic - yes all usb drives work properly without any problems.

So wat should i do?? HELP

gmanog

Journeyman
I also had same kind of problem I changed the USB cable it worked. (the old cable works with the other computers but not with this one). I did lot of googling about this problem some time back. Its a problem with the XP. Even in Microsofts site I saw some advices regarding this kind of problem. It seems that they have not solved these kind of problems yet (I read somewhere).
Now my Sony Micro Vault (Pen Drive) is not recognised in my system :x :-x . I don't know what to do for that:confused: :confused: . Mad Mad XP. I am fed up with these USB things now, I stopped using my sony micro vault.

escape7

What? Where? How?
ajayashish said:
have u tried formatting the PC...
don't suggest formatting the hd, it won't help.

-> What OS are you using? maybe the drivers are not installed in your OS.

OP
abhi_shake

abhi_shake

Broken In
well i'm thinking of reinstalling the OS

@ gmanog - you just changed the cable and it worked?? i'll try that

os is Win XP. all drivers are installed if you are talking about usb drivers.
as I said earlier the drive installs its drivers when it is connected.

ronweasley

Broken In
does ur drive switch on(lights turn up, drive starts spinning,etc) when u connect it? if no, replace the cable,

if yes bios aint recognising ur drive( i think)

OP
abhi_shake

abhi_shake

Broken In
yes the lights do come. also some kind of clicking sound comes, which does not come when i connet it to other pc's

but what has that got to do with the bios?? its an EXTERNAL HDD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom