External hard disk - important issues to be considered

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincereheart

Broken In
External hard disk - important issues to be considered

Dear friends and respected tech gurus...!!!

I have a compaq presario laptop with 40 GB hard disk inbuilt. I purchased it almost three years back.

The hard disk contains very important critical data and therefore i am thinking of having an external hard disk for backing up my hard disk of laptop.

I would also like the external hard disk / storage device to draw power from the USB itself without need for extra power adapter.

In this context please answer the following queries...

1. Should i purchase one external hard disk of 40 Gb...???

If yes which company's hard disk is preferable and reliable and affordable...???

2. Should i purchase external hard disk enclosure and external hard disk separately...???

3. Should i purchase 2.5 " or 3.5 " hard disk...???

4. Is firewire a better option than USB 2...???

5. How do i know whether my desktop computer (Intel motherboard 865GBF) and Comapq Presario laptop (purchased roughly three years back) have firewire ports or not...????

If yes then is it 400 or 800 ...???

Will cloning internal hard disk to such external hard disk be possible through USB...????

Please suggest keeping in view the above details.

Also if u wish to add anything please feel free to do so. if u think i am missing something or try otherwise or a better solution exists, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance for help and support.

Happy Diwali and Id to everyone!!!!

best regards

sunando

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

ishaan

Padawan
why not go for an ipod?

there are many space options available in it

that way, u got storage space AND u can lisin 2 music

it runs with both firewire and USB though u hav to buy the firewire cable seperately

it is not only powered, but charged also by the pc

----

otherwise, u can buy these sony extranal HDD which are credit card sized and around 9-10 grand on www.ebay.in

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
ishaan said:
why not go for an ipod?

it runs with both firewire and USB though u hav to buy the firewire cable seperately

it is not only powered, but charged also by the pc

----

otherwise, u can buy these sony extranal HDD which are credit card sized and around 9-10 grand on www.ebay.in

the latest video ipod does NOT connect via firewire.. nor does iPod Nano.. :)

Apple gave up firewire for the larger interests ;) (read pc users)

igeek

Broken In
you should go in for USB2 instead of Firewire, its slower & on its way out!! USB is the in & fast thing & is universally supported, more than Firewire. So you can plug-in your External HDD not only in your laptop or Desktop, but also in any other PC you want!! :)

ishaan said:
why not go for an ipod?

wow, what a great advice!! you mean to say that he can look at a 30GB iPod available at Rs.25000 as an option when he can get a 160GB External HDD for about Rs.6000-6500?? :roll:

ishaan

Padawan
@mail2and...oops dinno that

@igeek i really dont see the LCD or hear d music outta dat external HDD...i sed it as an option...mebe sincereheart wanted d ipod alredy but din think it worthwhile earlier

igeek

Broken In
ishaan said:
@igeek i really dont see the LCD or hear d music outta dat external HDD...i sed it as an option...mebe sincereheart wanted d ipod alredy but din think it worthwhile earlier
well, I think you should really read his first post again!! ;) in that he said that his laptop's got a 40GB HDD & he wants an external HDD for backing up his data, not for listening music!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom