Excess hard disk heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

lateshgalia

Right off the assembly line
Hey everybody,

I've got an 80GB Seagate SATA and an 120GB Seagate SATA. Off lately my 80GB (primary) is generating alot of heat even with normal CPU usage. No doubt it could be because I keep my PC ON for days.But all my data (expect OS WinXP SP2) is stored on 120GB including Games which require rapid r/w operations and still it doesnt generate that much heat. Even the r/w operations like transferring 700MB file from one partition to other on 80GB takes a hell lot of time. Does anyone have any idea about it!! My config is:

P4 2.4GHz HT
Intel 865GBF
512MB 400MHz Transcend
80GB Seagate SATA
120GB Segate SATA

C: 5GB FAT32 WinXP Pro SP2 on 80GB
D: 10GB FAT32 for Games on 120GB
I: 100GB NTFS Data on 120GB
Remain space on 80GB divided into 4 partitions including C:

Sankalp

Journeyman
use a fan below the hdd which will cool it off.

Atleast it works in my case.

I also have a 80 GB segate SATA which used to overheat.

Well I have noticed a effect. No matter what drive u use. Make it primary and its gonna overheat unless u use a fan. :) I think this is because it is the system drive and has to be continuously accessed even though the period for which it is accessed may be short. :wink:

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The new high performance HDD generate heat The only way to deal with this is to have forced air cooling setup for your hdd. There are hdd coolers available in the market for Rs 100-300 use one of these or install a fan that blows air over the disk.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
yes do wat they said.. u can get a fan for bout 250 bucks and fix it.. also wat i used to do for my overheating was i used to keep my cabinet open.. and make sure its cooled.. ( also AC will b on ) so it gets cooled to a certain extent..

OP
L

lateshgalia

Right off the assembly line
Thanks guys I opt for the HDD Fan but take a look at this link.

Code:
*www.silentpcreview.com/article206-page3.html

This guy has made a headsink for HDD isnt there anyone in Mumbai who does this kind of work ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom