Everything abt LinuxOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinav

Journeyman
Here are my question abt linux:

:arrow: 1.Please tell me which linux OS is the best and easy to try for the starters.

:arrow: 2.Please tell me where can i get the drivers for linux(graphic,sound,modem,USB,card reader,etc)

:arrow: 3.If i install Any linux version(fedore core 3,etc).Than which one is the latest that digit gave Us.

:arrow: 4.Do i need to install the drivers for LAN,etc when i install linux OS.Or linux will auto matically config. it

:arrow: 5.Do u think linux is good?

:arrow: 6.How is linux visually means is it same like windows.

ujjwal

Padawan
1. No single distro can be called the best, Knoppix live is a good CD to start with, as you don't even need to install it to try it out. Fedora Core 3 is a good installable distro. Vector Linux is my favourite easy to use distro, its quite sleek and fast, and has good configuration wizards.

2. Drivers for generic devices (CD drives, video cards, sound cards etc) should be supplied by the distro as kernel modules, and most distros will configure them automatically. Special devices like 3d chipsets, winmodems may require drivers that have to be downloaded from the manufacturers site.

3. I don't fully understand, however digit provides those distros which are the latest at the time the magazine is released.

4. Most distro's will automatically pick up the kernel module used by your network card, else even a generic device driver will do.

5. Yes

6. See there is no standard linux graphical interface, different distro's will look different out of the box, and you can completely customise the appearance by themes or by using a different window manager all together.

Most distro's come with two Desktop Enviroments - KDE & Gnome. These differ in appearance, KDE is a little like windows, Gnome is a bit different. You can also use something like Fluxbox to make everything radically different.

And as for a good linux documentation site - www.tldp.org

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
You know abhinav one does notlearn swimming by standing next to a pool asking people how deep the water is ? How cold is it? How do....
You have to jump in.
Same is with linux you have a PC get a live knoppix cd pop it in run it you cannot damage your pc in any way by doing this and almost all your answers will be answered first hand.

So LINUX = SWIMMING correct.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
IT gives a speed only upto 14kpbs. You can install linux and use windows for the internet , Thants what I am doing now.

zerohourkill

Broken In
You could use mepis, i tried it on 4 PCs with win modem, internet worked with same speed as in winXP. Mepis is live CD, but there is also option to install it.

So, as pradeep_chauhan said you have to jump in and swim... good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom