Ethernet/USB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
how can i know whether my mobo hav ethernet/usb port or not. btw i hav a 56kbps modem installed in a pci slot. is that only known as usb port. pls help. its urgent.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
about watis a USB port mebbe this will help
Click here

whereas for ETH it looks like this
Click here

USB is a long slotted hole and is thin and most prolly exactly below ur keyboard/mouse ports...

The ethernet port though is mostly option and looks like a big sized phone socket (RJ45)

Lol - Funny u dont know wat a USB is , do u ever see wires attached to ur comp ?

USB means Universal Serial Bus. its a popular port for PnP Devices...

godsownman

Padawan
The modem that is connected in your PCI slot is a Dial up modem ( 56kbps specifies the max speed ).

But it looks like your a bit confused .The USB and Ethernet ports are used to connect modems which can and are ONLY used in Broadband connections.

Regards

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
godsownman said:
The modem that is connected in your PCI slot is a Dial up modem ( 56kbps specifies the max speed ).

But it looks like your a bit confused .The USB and Ethernet ports are used to connect modems which can and are ONLY used in Broadband connections.

Regards

i'm willin to get a Broadband connection.

suppose i'm having a usb modem and an ethernet modem just as bsnl provides. i asked them not to come for installation. now tell me how and where do i have to install those modems

kato

Karthiksn
why they hell u want to install it urselves when they come with the modem they install it for you. You just have to configure it afterwards which sometimes differs from place to place(some have always on and others have dialup kind of connection for dataone).Silly bsnl guys

choudang

Padawan
The Incredible said:
suppose i'm having a usb modem and an ethernet modem just as bsnl provides. i asked them not to come for installation. now tell me how and where do i have to install those modems

my dear friend .... i can give you a clear and proper solution. do it and and enjoy your surfing.

BSNL wil provide you an ethernet modem right. so you have to connect it to your ethernet port. as you are confused abt ur mobo that it hav nor not, buy one 10/100 mbps LAN CARD. plug it into your PCI slot. [i hope thatur using XP.. if so don't need to install drivers, it will take automatically]. Now connect your modem to you Lan card and start surfing..

i hope you will be satified with the solution.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Ofcourse you can do it yourself. I've done it myself. Actually i taught bsnl people here how to do it. I was the first to get connection here, and configured it myself. After some two days bsnl people called me and want me to configure it for another guy. They called me at their office and asked me to show them how to configure it. Its very simple.

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
how much will that 10/100 mbps LAN CARD cost me??? can u suggest me a particular company of whose to buy.

allrite as bsnl provides only one modem which i can plug either in usb port or in ethernet port and i have a usb port at the back of my cabinet.

so now suppose, i hav to connect it to my usb port, will i have to connect it using sumthing or i can directly insert it in the black usb port present at the back of my cabinet???

i'm now knowing that a device named splitter is used to connect an ADSL modem to the phone line. is it actually wall jack. will bsnl provide a splitter with the adsl modem or do i have to buy it separately. how much will it cost.

yes i use xp with sp2

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Dude relax. You have a USB modem and a USB port. Just connect it using the cable which will be provided with the USB modem. And yes you need a cable. If the cable is not provided, which it should be, then please talk to the dealer from whom you got the modem.

As far as the splitter goes it will be provided by BSNL.

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
icecoolz said:

with the usb/ethernet modem??? or when i will ask them to install.

i'm talking abt the modem whihc bsnl provides in data1 connection.

so now wat i know is...

bsnl will provide an ADSL modem which can b connected using usb/ethernet port to my computer. and they will provide a splitter and a connection cable too.

if i'm wrong pls correct me.

will they provide all this even if i select that i will do the installation myself?

PS: dont get angry.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
My LAN card costed me rs. 160 (Realtek), way back in feb. 05.

Why dont you want the BSNL dudes to do the honours?

choudang

Padawan
The Incredible said:
icecoolz said:

with the usb/ethernet modem??? or when i will ask them to install.

i'm talking abt the modem whihc bsnl provides in data1 connection.

so now wat i know is...

bsnl will provide an ADSL modem which can b connected using usb/ethernet port to my computer. and they will provide a splitter and a connection cable too.

if i'm wrong pls correct me.

will they provide all this even if i select that i will do the installation myself?

PS: dont get angry.

i think he is totaly confused ... hey just give it to the BSNL guys

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
He is confusing everyone. Ok, first of all you should know that the prerequsite for dataone.
1. A telephone line
2. A computer with usb or ethernet.
Thats all everything else will be provided by bsnl. This is the list which bsnl will give you.
1. ADSL Modem
2. ADSL Modem - LAN/USB Connector
3. ADSL Splitter
4. Splitter - Modem & Splitter - Telephone Connectors

You dont have to worry as you've already a pc with usb and a telphone line. everything else will be taken care off by bsnl.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
godsownman said:
What is the purpose of a splitter.

I read connecting an ADSL modem to the phone line , buts whats the advantage of doing so.

splitter does nothing but splits a single telephone line into two so that you can connect to telephone and modem simultaneously. If ur using the connection to pc only, then there is no need of splitter.

OP
The Incredible

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
i'm confused on only and only one point.

the point is that whether bsnl will provide the splitter and the connecting wire even if i select the option of doing the installation myself.

now i have no doubts on wat is splitter and allthat and how to do the installation. i can do it myself now.

pls clr the confusion above.

kato

Karthiksn
@godownman buddy when u get a dataone connection its very neccessary to have a splitter as it will only then allow u to use both internet and phone simultaneously.

@incredible when they give u ur modem simply ask for the splitter and required wires but i still say get it doen from them also if there u get always on dataone(some ppl use some kind of dialup for it) then od ask them about
ip address
default gateway
DNS server
If u have the dialup kind of dataone there then u may not require these.

godsownman

Padawan
kato said:
@godownman buddy when u get a dataone connection its very neccessary to have a splitter as it will only then allow u to use both internet and phone simultaneously.

@incredible when they give u ur modem simply ask for the splitter and required wires but i still say get it doen from them also if there u get always on dataone(some ppl use some kind of dialup for it) then od ask them about
ip address
default gateway
DNS server
If u have the dialup kind of dataone there then u may not require these.

Thanks Kato,

I completely blanked out on the aspect that BSNL provides the connection through the telephone line.

Thanks a lot.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom