Status
Not open for further replies.

godsownman

Padawan
My friend recently gave me an ethernet card which he no longer required.

But he told me that he was'nt sure if it was working or no. He asked me to check it out. He has gone out of town now.

What I need to know is that what is the way to test this card.Somebody told me to plug it in the comp and see .But i'm scared it may blow something.

Also how should I know if it is a 10/100 ethernet. While I was inspecting the card I saw three lights and three explanations . One of the explanations says "link 10/100 M " does this mean that it is a 10/100 card.

The name of the company - thats whats written on the card stated COMPEX.

Will I need drivers also for this card.

Thanks.

digen

Youngling
Mate if you wont install & test it with the help of a few commands how are you going to know whether its working or not?
Best bet is install it in a free PCI slot,install the drivers if needed[depends on the OS you are own,but most will require the manufacturers drivers] & then test the network adapter by issuing a ping command against it.

And no it wont BLOW ! Sheesh its only a network adapters man,not a bomb :)

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
How will he check it assuming he has no second comp or a second nic, and that he has got it workin?

I mean pingin ur own ip addy will only loopback right? Can ifconfig do the trick?

hack expert

In the zone
hey compex ethernet card is directly installed in XP u dont need any drivers to install the card so go head and plug it in and it`ll be installed

but u need xp

as for the drivers try google

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
But can anybody please tell me how to test the card. Even if I connect it to the comp and XP configures it how should I know that it will be able to connect and transfer data

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
If ur windows detects the card, then it will inform u that it has found a nic card and tries to install it. If it installs, then np. Then try assigning it an ip address. Then try "ipconfig" and also ping the nic's ip address at the cmd prompt.

digen

Youngling
siriusb said:
How will he check it assuming he has no second comp or a second nic, and that he has got it workin?

I mean pingin ur own ip addy will only loopback right? Can ifconfig do the trick?
Pinging your own IP will make sure the network card is responding to echo requests & replying.If there is a problem with the card then it wont reply in major cases that I've seen.Though this is much of my personal experience.

In laymans terms dont confuse this with pinging the loopback address[127.0.0.1].Pinging 127.0.0.1 will let you know whether the networking stack is unchanged & working properly.
Assign a IP address to the NIC & ping it from command prompt,you should get a series of replies.

Other information which can lead to whether the card is working is not is LED lights situated at the back plate of the PCI card.The LED turns ON when a cable has been inserted as well at the other end.

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
The commands pleased .

I'm looking for the exact commands

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm presently on the dial up.

When I connect to the internet I check to see using ipconfig

Once I get the IP i just type

ping 0.0.0.0

assuming 0.0.0.0is my ip address.

If I get a reply it means my card is working.

Also i cannot test it by plugging in another comp bcoz I plan to use this card to connect to the Internet when I get my cable connection.

Thanks.

digen

Youngling
Dude I've already written what to do,read my earlier post carefully.

Anyways,assign a IP address to the Network Interface Card,then in the properties of the LAN connection,under TCP/IP properties assign a IP address say for example 192.168.0.10 & the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0.
Click ok or apply or whatever is there & reboot is necessary.
Now,start>run>cmd>ping 192.168.0.10
You should be able to see replies to the echo requests PING makes.

KnightRider

Broken In
godsownman said:
My friend recently gave me an ethernet card which he no longer required.

But he told me that he was'nt sure if it was working or no. He asked me to check it out. He has gone out of town now.

What I need to know is that what is the way to test this card.Somebody told me to plug it in the comp and see .But i'm scared it may blow something.

Also how should I know if it is a 10/100 ethernet. While I was inspecting the card I saw three lights and three explanations . One of the explanations says "link 10/100 M " does this mean that it is a 10/100 card.

The name of the company - thats whats written on the card stated COMPEX.

Will I need drivers also for this card.

Thanks.

installign apci slot will not blow up anything.... you simply install it ona pci slot..... and start the windows... the winodws will automatically detect the hardware.. if it has the driver then it will install it.. if it doesnot install then u need to install from cd/floppy or download form internet.... if u look at the lan card u will find the driver name written on the chip of the card.. the most common is reaktek 8139.. but that can be can be somthitng else like realtek 8029, realtek 8100, sis 900.. these are the most commmon driver.. like that u will also get a name there.. simply download it from any driver site.. like www.majorgeeks.con, www.driverguide.com etc once installed please follow the riview of DIGEN -(Trusted MEMBER) as told above.......

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
But I just want to test my card which cannot be connected to any LAN because its a home comp not connected to any LAN and I do not even have cable internet.But bcoz i'm planning cable internet i need to chk it out or else I might have to buy it .

I have the card at home which need to be checked at my home pc .

So I cannot connect it to a LAN And hence cannot allot an IP address. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

Please help.

Thanks and sorry for the trouble which I may have caused,

KnightRider

Broken In
I SAID IF U DONT HAVE ANY DRIVEN THEN GET IT FROM INTERNET.. U MUST BE HAVING MODEM.. THAT IS AGAIN IF U DONTHAVE ANYT DRIVER THEN CONNECT TO INTERNET
YES U CAN ASSIGN IP ADDRESS WITHOUT CONNECTION TO INTERNET ,, THAT WILL BE YOUR LOCAL IP ADDRESS AS E.G 192.168.0.1. ONCE THE LAN CARD IS INSTALLED ASSIGN THIS IP ADDRESS WITH SUBNET MASK AS 255.255.255.0 AND THEN PING 192.168.0.1. IF IT WORKS THEN KAN CARD IS OK.

OP
godsownman

godsownman

Padawan
I'm sorry for keeping such a long pause to this thread. But if was tied up with some very very urgent work and could not update you all as to what happened once I connected it.

Ok , so today i finally managed to get it connected ( I did it myself ). Now what happend are a few noticible changes in the PC .

1. The Local area connection ( the 2 pcs in the tray ) have appeared but there is a cross across it as there is no other place where I can connect the computer to make up a LAN.

2. My card is made by a company called COMPEX but the drivers that Windows XP loaded for them are

' Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC '

Are these changes in the PC normal.

Now what I need to know is is there any way to check its connectivity part .I mean the speed issue and that it send and receives data properly.

I just cannot assign an IP address to the card .

I'm sorry If i'm irritating any body here with this question

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
godsownman said:
1. The Local area connection ( the 2 pcs in the tray ) have appeared but there is a cross across it as there is no other place where I can connect the computer to make up a LAN.
That's happens when the modem power is switched off or the LAN card is not installed (I mean, it's not shown as installed H/W in the device manager).

godsownman said:
2. My card is made by a company called COMPEX but the drivers that Windows XP loaded for them are

' Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC '
Hmm.. yeah, I dont the reason, but even my PC shows the same thing.

godsownman said:
Now what I need to know is is there any way to check its connectivity part .I mean the speed issue and that it send and receives data properly.
It's simple. Just connect to internet and download some stuff. If it shows the speed correctly, then it's ok; I.E, your ISP speeds / 8.

godsownman said:
I just cannot assign an IP address to the card .
I guess, it's your ISP who should does that job. you can only view that after you are connected.
I dont know when a PC is connected to other PC via LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom