Errors while Reinstalling GRUB

Status
Not open for further replies.

hullap

Cyborg Agent
I have intel core 2 duo 1.86 GHZ , Nvidia 7100gs , 1 GB ram , 2 hard disks (250 GB, 160GB) with ubuntu on 2nd one,dunno what all i should tell more :p .

My prob:- after ubuntu's reinstallation grub fails to recognize xp even after GRUBs reinstallation

When i downloaded an ubuntu iso(Bfore 2-3 months) had Xp on my comp.
i was happy and GRUB was working okay.but due to a hard disk failure or Sumthin and i had to reformat the drive and reinstall ubuntu. i made a big mistake by not fixing the MBR by xp cd.Now Grub doesnt recognize windows but with some advice of a friend(here on this forum) i Fixed the MBR with the xp cd.NOw while booting with live cd and reinstalling GRUB by
grub-install /dev/sda
i get error : Could not find the device for /boot : Not found or not a block device.
and on the DIGIT irc Hitboxx told me 2 do
chroot /mnt/sysimage
while doing this i get an error : no such file or directory

Now i cant boot into linux,
and if i select the linux drive i get error : NTLDR not found.

PLEASE HELP MEEEE.

IM STUCK WITH CR@PPY WINDOWS :D

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Can you see the XP entry when in the Grub menu during start-up.?
If not, then add the folowing entry to /boot/grub/menu.lst file

title Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Right after the Ubuntu entry.Change (hd0,0) to the location of your XP partition

NOTE: Do this after you re-install grub from the link given by Sunny.

praka123

left this forum longback
yes,as @shady's post,make sure "makeactive" line is there for windows in menu.lst.

if u have ur grub corrupted,ie no proper display ,but only a grub> prompt,u'd like to reinstall grub.
it is also good to see the output of below command from terminal in livecd
Code:
/sbin/fdisk  -l

OP
hullap

hullap

Cyborg Agent
ok ill do /sbin/fdisk -1, but after reinstalling GRUB when booting ubuntu it hangs or stops @ about 1% and i have to restart..

EDIT
BAH....... IM reinstalling UBUNTU

Last edited:
OP
hullap

hullap

Cyborg Agent
Doesnt matter im thinking of reinstalling it now or should i wait for stable version of hardy

praka123

left this forum longback
reinstalling,formatting things are for window$ series of operating systems.In Linux,we can solve most of the problems.last choice is re-install :)

OP
hullap

hullap

Cyborg Agent
BUMP:(

its getting hanged while booting Ubuntu which is on my hd. i took some photos from my mobile.

When i boot it hangs here
*img151.imageshack.us/img151/9256/20032008079rv3.th.jpg
and hitboxx told me to press alt+F1, the underscore keeps flashing but it doesnt respond

*img167.imageshack.us/img167/5595/20032008080qu6.th.jpg

I tried recovery mode too, but that didnt work

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
in grub menu,select ubuntu,press "e" ,then select "kernel /boot/..." line ,again press "e" now go to the end of the line.delete " quiet splash vga=7xx"
press "enter".
press "ESC" to came back to the previous options.
now go to the last line which is "quiet" press "d" to delete the line.
now press "b" to boot.
when system fails,press ctrl+alt+fx(f1) to login as local user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom