Status
Not open for further replies.

spidey

Broken In
hi guyz,
i recently got a new rig at my office.

it has 512mb ram and xp with sp2 installed

i have asus a8n sli mobo
the problem is that when i connect my 512 mb ram, the sys. works fine.

but when i add another 512 mb ram, the xp doesn't boot and it give theerror that file acpi.sys is missin.

so what do u think guyz, shud i change my os.

the manufacturer of my ram is hynix
the 512*2 ram works fine on my intel system with 865 mobo
:huh: :huh: :huh:

chinmay

Journeyman
what about the ram bus speed ... they should be same if you want them to work properly ... btw even i had a same problem two months back .. i had 2 X 256mb ram both of same bus speed and ram installed on my intel 865 mobo on my bro's comp ... they worked fine for almost an year ...then one of them got screwed for a reason unknown ... so i got a replacement ... even the replaced thing didn't work for me...i thought my ram slot was fugged so i instead installed a 512 mb ram in the first slot only... i recently got the comp. serviced by a local engineer and came to know that the slot was really fugged ... hope this is not the case with you :p

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Did u install the two memory sticks each in one channel of the mobo? Installing both the rams in the same channel won't work.
Yea, and for dual channel, the rams must be of same specification.

And, you can get more replies if u had posted this to the hardware section.

krishnathelord

In the zone
does the problem occour when a particular module is added

if it does the u have a faulty module

and if not the check the manual for channel for ram

AlienTech

In the zone
You added 2 modules into a dual channel setup, Leave 1 ram bank free and add it to the 3rd slot. If you add 2 ram to banks 1&2 then it becomes dual channel setup and you have probs. But you can try swapping the sticks by swapping ram in slot1 and putting it into slot2 , IE one stick might be slower and the system would read the spid form the 1st stick and use the slower values to run the 2nd bank as well. Or if you dont want dual channel setup, put 1 stick in ram bank 1 and the 2nd stick in ram bank 3. I know this will work properly since I have even tried it with DDR266 with DDR400 ram sticks in different slots. Oh and even win ME will work just fine with 1 gig of ram. I was using it with it a long time ago. I think even win98 will work fine with it.

AlienTech

In the zone
oops my bad! Check your MB manual... Seems depending on which chip set, the board maker can swap and stuff the ram slots around....

*www.hardwareforumz.com/ABIT-NF7s-v2-dual-channel-mem-slots-filled-ftopict57599.html

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Possibility of a faulty board or for that matter CPU ? as the memory controller is located int the CPU for the A64 isnt it ?

Just my guess.

rohanbee

Padawan
try another brand if possible and see if the same thing happens? Try to get some friends ram and try it out.

AlienTech

In the zone
Yes the old A64's have ram compatibility problems it seems. But they seem to run faster than the new AMD chips with the fix. Maybe thats the fix :) run em slower.... But swapping it into different slots might fix the problem. I know it fixed the problem on a SDRAM mother board but dual channel stuff is a whole another ball game. You could also try the 2T instead of 1T setup in the ram timing for the command register... But this slows it down a lot I think?

darklord

Cyborg Agent
AlienTech said:
Yes the old A64's have ram compatibility problems it seems. But they seem to run faster than the new AMD chips with the fix. Maybe thats the fix :) run em slower.... But swapping it into different slots might fix the problem. I know it fixed the problem on a SDRAM mother board but dual channel stuff is a whole another ball game. You could also try the 2T instead of 1T setup in the ram timing for the command register... But this slows it down a lot I think?

Doesnt the guy have 3200+ that is a Venice core,he specifically mentioned that.
:roll:

AlienTech

In the zone
//Doesnt the guy have 3200+ that is a Venice core,he specifically mentioned that. //

Where was that? :p

But I would think it would still have problems if the ram was not installed properly.. Properly would mean the way the mother board was designed for and not all types of combinations. Another thing I noticed was that ram modules become bad here, not sure why, maybe the spikes damage them? I cant believe the stuff they do to electrical lines around here. Many times my UPS sits here clicking for hours. Its like they have a huge farm of rodents running on a belt to generate the electricity.

I have used hundreds of ram modules before and never had even 1 go bad in 20 years. But got like 4 failures in the last 3 years. That also not full, just flakey.. Sometimes... In fact I have only recently been learning about natural chip failures, it has always been due to user error before. Chips just dont fail or that was my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom