Error Running HALF LIFE 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunwar

In the zone
HALF LIFE 2 GIVES THIS ERROR

: "failed to launch the launcher DLL:
THE SPECIFIED module could not be found"

it didn't ran on my friend';s pc who have 5700 gfx card.

is the copy of game corrupted?

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
expertno.1 said:
did he install steam ???
what is steam ?
Steam is the content delivery system of Valve. The idea is to have your games anywhere, anytime you want without having to carry the CDs alongwith you. It is also touted as an anti-piracy measure.

When you buy HL2, and install the game from the CDs, the game files that reside in your HDD are encrypted. To play the game, you will have to install Steam, login with an account and feed your HL2 authentic serial. Once the serial has been validated, Steam will begin to unlock your game files so that you can play it. The decrypting depends upon the speed of your net connection.

The fact that Steam has fallen flat over it's face is another story.

sahil_blues

In the zone
i too recently installed HL2 (with steam).....i ran the game but as soon as the loading screen came, the game exited to the desktop giving an error message that "HL2 could not set the required video mode. Now it will run in a new video mode"....then when i press OK the game runs in a different resolution but the same message appears.....wats happening??...i have a P4, 3GHz, 512 RAM, GeforceFX 5200 XT card.....my desktop resolution is 1024X768 (32bit color).....

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Please post more information on your previous settings. The information you have supplied isn't enough to think of a solution. What were the previous settings (Resolution/Effects/AA/AF, if any, etc. and all that) that you were trying to run the game from? What are the new settings? Your video card, the FX 5200 is one of the bare minimum cards that is required to run HL2 and you may probably be setting something that your card can't support.

@kunwar: Is this the original copy of the game? I've seen that message mostly only with pirated copies of the game, which try to bypass Steam, like the Vengeance emulators. Please confirm that you are using an original copy of the game.

sahil_blues

In the zone
@enoonmai i dont think its due to my resolution or graphics card as i have already installed and played HL2 previously on my comp.( though that one was the downladed version and was in spanish).....i played it for some time but couldnt take the spanish menus and instructions anymore.....therefore i uninstalled it and decided to buy the original version.....the only difference between the previous state and current state of my computer is that i have updated my graphics card drivers from the 66.xx series to 77.72 (because i wasnt able to play Fifa 2005 from the older drivers).....isnt there any solution which can prevent me from rolling back to the previous drivers???

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmm, thats a very good start. A lot of people seem to be having problems with FX 5200 cards and the 77.72 drivers. Try rolling back to the 71.xx drivers, say 71.89. That should fix your HL2 problem in addition to letting you play your FIFA 2005 game without any trouble.

sahil_blues

In the zone
enoonmai said:
Hmm, thats a very good start. A lot of people seem to be having problems with FX 5200 cards and the 77.72 drivers. Try rolling back to the 71.xx drivers, say 71.89. That should fix your HL2 problem in addition to letting you play your FIFA 2005 game without any trouble.

i just check out the nvidia's site....and the 77.77 drivers are out....so should i try them out or the 71.xx ones you mentioned??

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Technically, I would advise against switching to every single driver update that Nvidia releases. Most of the new driver updates are geared towards the newer class cards cards from Nvidia than extending support for the older cards. I would really recommend you to stick to the most stable driver release that is for your card's generation and can pretty much play all the games that you can throw at it. In some cases, installing the latest driver updates for older series cards has been known to hit performance rather than improve on it. I would really recommend you to stick to the older drivers, if 71.xx runs really well and plays all the games, stick to it until another game forces you to upgrade your driver version for either compatibility or increased performance. Leave the newer drivers for the newer cards, I always say.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Yeah I agree with enoon there. You don't always need to get the latest drivers. Apart from the fact that they are mostly meant for newer cards, they might end up causing more problems than they aim to resolve ;)

I haven't updated the graphics on my GeForce 3 Ti 500 ever since the 56.72 release :p

OP
kunwar

kunwar

In the zone
enoonmai said:
Please post more information on your previous settings. The information you have supplied isn't enough to think of a solution. What were the previous settings (Resolution/Effects/AA/AF, if any, etc. and all that) that you were trying to run the game from? What are the new settings? Your video card, the FX 5200 is one of the bare minimum cards that is required to run HL2 and you may probably be setting something that your card can't support.

@kunwar: Is this the original copy of the game? I've seen that message mostly only with pirated copies of the game, which try to bypass Steam, like the Vengeance emulators. Please confirm that you are using an original copy of the game.

i dun think that my friend will ever give me an original copy.
it must be a pirated copy.

just help me out.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
my friend told me that there is no need of installing steam.
he runs it without steam.

well u have to install steam during the first install ... coz then ur copy wont get the necessary ddl files ....then with a little shortcut modification u can run it without using steam ....

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
i dun think that my friend will ever give me an original copy.
it must be a pirated copy.

just help me out.

Sorry, buddy. There are rules against piracy here and we can't very well help you engage in it in a public forum. There will be no talk of cracking anything here, and anyone who indulges in these things may face severe consequences.

@deathvirus:
well u have to install steam during the first install ... coz then ur copy wont get the necessary ddl files ....then with a little shortcut modification u can run it without using steam ....

Duh! He obviously has the pirated Vengeance installer. Its not an out-of-original box copy, since the files wouldn't be decrypted and he can't use Steam to authenticate and decrypt, since he wont have a valid HL2 CD Key. He cannot "modify" an original installation for the simple fact that the original game is launched ANYWAY via Steam with the -game <gameID> option.

@Everyone: Please read the rules before posting. Try not to get into trouble by asking for help cracking this and that program. What applies to software applies to games as well.

OP
kunwar

kunwar

In the zone
why isn't anybody posting?

help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pleaseeeeeeeeee :oops: :oops:

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
The rules are quite clear on this matter. No help in case of pirated copies. So please refrain from posting unnecessarily on this thread and do not force us to lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom