Error in Live Update in Norton 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid_b6505

Broken In
Hi..
I am running Norton System works 2005 and when I run Live Update...some updates show the error 'Couldn't Create Call Back Object'
I tried to solve the problem as given on the symantec website..but the problem remains.

Can any body Help?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
This error message can occur if a specific file that is needed by LiveUpdate is missing or if the Windows Registry entry pointing to that file is corrupt.

The required file is called iralrshl.exe. Since it is a hidden file, you cannot locate it using a simple Windows file search without making a modification to your Windows setup.

To be able to view hidden files under Windows XP, open a window and click on the Tools menu. Select Folder Options, then click on the View tab. Uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types. On the same tab, you should also uncheck Hide protected operating system files and click Show hidden files and folders.

Answer yes to any warning messages you see.

Go to the Start menu and select Search to find the iralrshl.exe file. Be sure to search all your hard drives and partitions.

Once you find the file, make a note of its complete file path. You will need it when you are editing your registry later.

If you do not find the file, you must uninstall your copy of Norton Anti-Virus and re-install it.

If you did find the required file, it's time to edit your registry. It's always important to back up your registry before you work on it.

While it's not quite as dangerous as handling high explosives, it can be just as dangerous to your computer if you make a mistake when editing your registry. Only make changes to the required registry keys.

To launch the Registry Editor, go to the Start menu and click on Run. Enter regedit in the text box and hit the return key.

The editor has a left and right pane. In the left pane, click on the + symbols to expand these items in this order, HKEY_

LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Symantec, IstalledApps.

In the right pane, in the Name column, double-click LiveReg. An Edit String box will appear. Erase the text that appears and replace it with the value of the file path that you noted earlier to the iralrshl.exe file. Press OK, then exit regedit.

The next time you launch Norton LiveUpdate, your problem should be fixed....Try This Mate And Let Me know If It works out..... 8)

OP
S

sid_b6505

Broken In
Error in Live Update

Thanx..for ur help...
But I have already done this....I found the required file....and changed the reg key also...but the problem still persists.

I m helpless!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom