Error in Formatting and Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthik_rcs

Broken In
Hello friends,
I tried recently fomatting and resizing my HDD 80GB.
i have winxp sp2. when i tried fdisk to remove the partition it shows junk characters as volume label in HDD.
when i tried formatting , i got invalid device parameter as the error.
Is it due to bad sector .
I tried scandisk . it shows error in directories with junk characters as file names.
I am not able to install xp or 98.
How to recover from this.
One more question. will fdisk works on 80GB harddisk. Are there any other command line formatting and partition presizing tools for a fresh hdd.
FYI: I have samsung 80GB

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
if ur planning to erase the whole drive and repartition , go in for the samsung disk manager . its easy , quick and u can backup ur mbr too .

If u have partitions u want to save , use the winxp recovery console or winxp setup itself to create /delete and format partitions . The former is good way

*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/

if u suspect bad sectors , run the other utilities , shdiag / hutil . check which one runs for ur model

Another neat trick to save the disk manager floppy , is to make a bootable cd image from it using nero or winiso or plenty of other programs . so next time u burn a data cd , use this bootable image for the cd and u can boot into samsung disk manager right outta the cd , instead of floppies , which is bound to get corrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom