Enabling 3D Graphics of SUSE 10.2 LINUX & Playing MP3s and Video Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
Here are the screenshorts:
*discoverlinux.blogspot.com/2006/12/3d-graphics-of-suse-102-linux.html

First and Foremost, the installation of SUSE has become far simpler.......

Its fast, userfriendly and highly optimized.....

Once Installation and Post installation formalities were completed, machine rebooted....

I got a bolt from the blue to see an animated boot menu…

The best thing about it was that it detected my already installed FEDORA CORE 6 and displayed it in the boot menu…

Coming back to animated boot menu, it has many penguins wearing Christmas clothes and moving back and forth in a Christmas mood….

I then logged in with very high expectations…..

openSUSE has developed a new interface for My Computer…..

Applications are grouped in different manner….ands it’s a quite innovative style…Good work Novel….

ENABLING 3D GRAPHICS
Well enabling 3D Graphics in Linux was never so easy........

All hats off to Novel.......

You first need to install your Graphics Card Drivers…

Click Yast

Click Installation Source

Click ADD

Select HTTP

Under SERVER NAME, place an entry:

download.nvidia.com

Provided you have an Nvidia Graphics Card, as I am having 6200 Turbocache GT Nvidia

Under DIRECTORY ON SERVER, place an entry:

/opensuse/10.2/

Or just place an entry

download.nvidia.com/opensuse/10.2

under the SERVER NAME.

When you add the above address and click next, a warning message about an unknown GPG key will come up. Click the checkbox next to Do Not Show This Message Again and click Yes. The next screen will ask if you'd like to import the aforementioned GPG key. Click Import.

Apply the changes & and exit Installation Source application

Under the Application YAST, click Software Management and search for:

* nvidia-gfx-kmp-default
* x11-video-nvidia

Install these drivers and reboot the machine.

Go to Desktop Effects under control panel and enable 3D graphics…..

Bang you are done with the settings …Enjoy the highly optimized 3D revolution..

PLAYING MP3S
Well all MP3s can be played using Helix Banshee Audio Player. It’s installed by default.

PLAYING VIDEOS
Using YAST change the installation source to:
packman.unixheads.com/opensuse/10.2/

Using Yast and Soft Management search for the video player Xine and w32 codecs.

Install the video player xine and win32 codecs, using which you would be able to play all videos.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
paragkalra said:
Here are the screenshorts:
*discoverlinux.blogspot.com/2006/12/3d-graphics-of-suse-102-linux.html

First and Foremost, the installation of SUSE has become far simpler.......

Its fast, userfriendly and highly optimized.....

Once Installation and Post installation formalities were completed, machine rebooted....

I got a bolt from the blue to see an animated boot menu…

The best thing about it was that it detected my already installed FEDORA CORE 6 and displayed it in the boot menu…

Coming back to animated boot menu, it has many penguins wearing Christmas clothes and moving back and forth in a Christmas mood….

I then logged in with very high expectations…..

openSUSE has developed a new interface for My Computer…..

Applications are grouped in different manner….ands it’s a quite innovative style…Good work Novel….

ENABLING 3D GRAPHICS
Well enabling 3D Graphics in Linux was never so easy........

All hats off to Novel.......

You first need to install your Graphics Card Drivers…

Click Yast

Click Installation Source

Click ADD

Select HTTP

Under SERVER NAME, place an entry:

download.nvidia.com

Provided you have an Nvidia Graphics Card, as I am having 6200 Turbocache GT Nvidia

Under DIRECTORY ON SERVER, place an entry:

/opensuse/10.2/

Or just place an entry

download.nvidia.com/opensuse/10.2

under the SERVER NAME.

When you add the above address and click next, a warning message about an unknown GPG key will come up. Click the checkbox next to Do Not Show This Message Again and click Yes. The next screen will ask if you'd like to import the aforementioned GPG key. Click Import.

Apply the changes & and exit Installation Source application

Under the Application YAST, click Software Management and search for:

* nvidia-gfx-kmp-default
* x11-video-nvidia

Install these drivers and reboot the machine.

Go to Desktop Effects under control panel and enable 3D graphics…..

Bang you are done with the settings …Enjoy the highly optimized 3D revolution..

PLAYING MP3S
Well all MP3s can be played using Helix Banshee Audio Player. It’s installed by default.

PLAYING VIDEOS
Using YAST change the installation source to:
packman.unixheads.com/opensuse/10.2/

Using Yast and Soft Management search for the video player Xine and w32 codecs.

Install the video player xine and win32 codecs, using which you would be able to play all videos.

Dude! No one would like to stick to that default player which bundles with SuSE. Almost all prefer Amarok or XMMS. It would be great if you could tell us how we can install mp3 support for SuSE. Also, why don't you let anyone contact you????? :confused:

OP
paragkalra

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
No sir I don't have any problem WHAT SO EVER if some one contacts me, in fact it will be a pleasure. By the way what makes u say and think that way. Anyways I will surely find an alternative to play mp3s in SUSE 10.2 LINUX.
Using YAST Keep the installation source same as mentioned above. Using Software management search for amarok. It will show some three packages including the player and two plugins. Install them. It amounts to some 30 MB (approximately). Using which you can play MP3s using your favorite AMAROK

Last edited:

phreak0ut

paragkalra said:
No sir I don't have any problem WHAT SO EVER if some one contacts me, in fact it will be a pleasure. By the way what makes u say and think that way. Anyways I will surely find an alternative to play mp3s in SUSE 10.2 LINUX.

I tried PMing you, but I got a message that the user doesn't like to recieve PMs, but can contact the administrator to do that. I contacted the administrator to check with the permission and requested to forward the question I had as well :D Also, I tried contacting you on your Hotmail account, but it bounced back :( So, how shall we contact you??
Using YAST Keep the installation source same as mentioned above. Using Software management search for amarok. It will show some three packages including the player and two plugins. Install them. It amounts to some 30 MB (approximately). Using which you can play MP3s using your favorite AMAROK

Wow!! Thanks for that. Since Amarok is bundled with SuSE, can I download only the plugins?? Though I downloaded the plugins, the installation was quite a pain asking for one dependency or the other. Will try this out soon :)

phreak0ut

paragkalra said:
PLAYING MP3S

Somehow Banshee is refusing to play mp3s. Also, the Add-On CD which I have asks for CD1 during installation, but when I insert the CD, it refuses to accept it. Any ideas?? CD1 is asked after installing CD1-CD5 for installation of the packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom