Edge Handsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

guri_dj

Right off the assembly line
Has anyone seen edge handsets other than Nokia.I know only about two handsets 6230 and 3220 both of which i dont like.Has anyone accessed internet using A edge handset and connecting it to a PC.R the speeds good.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
guri_dj said:
Has anyone seen edge handsets other than Nokia.I know only about two handsets 6230 and 3220 both of which i dont like.
as far as i have knowledge only NOKIA has EDGe ennabled handsets....

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well Sony Ericsson Has Just Launched Its edge Handset Z500 Check it out over here *www.phonecontent.com/bm/news/se/193.shtml
But nokia Though Leads in the Production of EDGE handsets, It plans to go for 15 handsets With EDGE enabled by 2005 by nearly 100 million to sell out.......Check out its Current List OF EDGE Enabled Handsets at this link *www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,62467,00.html ....Enjoy mates... :D

drgrudge

and the following are the EDGe handsets available with nokia

and well, u cant really do anything with EDGe handsets now (not much!).

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
Why not? EDGE gives data rates of upto 200 Kbps.. thats atleast u'll get 10-15 KBps.. Leave out the TV Gimmicks.. How abt connecting to Internet over EDGE.. ?.. That shd be real "broadband"..

drgrudge

I need to clarify:

1. AS far as if any freaks wants to see "HUTCH TV", they will be totally taken by. it is a marketting gimmick.

One of my friends have used that and he says it is a crap. we need to download the clips b4 viewing.

2.AS far as internet data transfer is concerned, only IDEA in delhi and AIRTEL in delhi and mumbai have EDGe enabled BTS (or atleast in construction stage).

IDEA has partnership with NOKIA to develop EDGe enabbled(or supporting) BTS in DElhi.
AIRTEL has partnership with SIEMENS to develop EDGe enabbled BTS.

SO even this is a marketing gimmick (as far as cell phone companies are concerned).
This is also a network based function of the phone.

Another function of is that we can download (ringtones and stuffs) faster than in ordinary mobs.BUt even this has to be supported by the network.

EDGe is a good feature but, it has to backed by the network provider.

so i wrote:
drgrudge said:
and well, u cant really do anything with EDGe handsets now (not much!).

beaditya

Journeyman
edge is nothin but crap as of yet...........................it like a broadband conn which is not really a broadband conn...........

not much of a utility till all the networks adapt it, the tv clips can also be downloaded on gprs handsets............remenber cricket replays on hutch??

its the same damn thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if u wanna go for a edge phone..................go for 3220 its cheap

anyway u r gonna get bored of it in amonths time...............believe me, i already sold my edge phone..........

nokia is releasin phones every day literally,wait for a month and there will be more phones on the queue.............i'm sure of it

happy buyin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
Hmm.. Well.. I do agree with this oner..

EDGe is a good feature but, it has to backed by the network provider.

Hmm.. but Havnt u guys used GPRS for connecting to Internet? Well even this has to be backed by the network service provider.. AND, Provided that your network provides these features (mosty networks like Hutch, Airtel and even BSNL etc right now provide NOT SO BAD GPRS services).. While this wasnt the case few months back.. You get a download speed of abt 3-4 KBps on GPRS..

So i guess its quite a good idea to invest in a EDGE phone coz EDGE services are likely to be enhanced in near future.. EDGE (EGPRS) can provide speeds of upto 10-15 KBps.. Isnt that grreat..

So, If you're gonna buy a new Mobile, Invest on an EDGE mobile.. Coz future holds for EDGE..

HappyGuy

Right off the assembly line
I have connected my nokia 6610 via IR to my pc and connected to the net from my pc through gprs and checked the connection speed from *www.speakeasy.net/speedtest My results were 25 Kbps download and 18 Kbps upload !!! and that to on a non EDGE compatible phone.

I did this on IDEA connection in Pune, Maharashtra. Idea has launched very silently GPRS service in Pune with EDGE capability you have to ask for it !!! I also checked the speed while downloading files, actual download took place at around 2.5 KB/s i.e. 20 Kbps !!!

I think EGPRS will have much more speed.

Though network dependent, in Pune it gave me amazing results. :D

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
I was using Samgsung C100,
it gave me speed of 4-6kbps while downloading using AirTel gprs,
on Irda. avg was 5 kbps
There was no problem in the Network, :)
even without the EDGe i got the speed which is better than low bandwith cable/dial ups

since its unlimitted use it is great for surfing.

now i have to buy a new handset
so i am considering a phone with EDGe feature,
so that i can use or say exploit the full bandwith.:wink:

devilhead_satish

In the zone
The SE Z500 though not available in India should be available at Heera Panna or Lamington Road. I just checked the price and its available for 15k or thereabouts.
*www.monetcg.com/newweb/images/foto/z500.jpg

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Sorry for me to get in late..

I think I among the first person who is using internet using EDGE phone :D

LEt me tell u..
I can get speed more than 200 kbps on it..
I am in UP west .. i m on HUTCH..

But I think hutch is having problem .. it can't bear the load.. NOw speed is crawling crawling.. abe.. it is even stopped..

I had specially baught 6820 for the purpose..

Guys.. EDGE is a good technology but in India.. even best come to its knees..
it was good in beginning.. now it is nothing less than hell ! :( :(

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Ricky said:
I am in UP west .. i m on HUTCH..

But I think hutch is having problem .. it can't bear the load.. NOw speed is crawling crawling.. abe.. it is even stopped..

I had specially baught 6820 for the purpose..

Guys.. EDGE is a good technology but in India.. even best come to its knees..
it was good in beginning.. now it is nothing less than hell ! :( :(

Tuff luck dude
as i know the network of Hutch is not at its best in Delhi too.
Many a times I get the message of not reachable when i call on hutch no.

But AirTel is good, most of my friend has Airtel here,
and some use MTNL because of its cheaper tarriff n roaming charges

BTW.. do you get constant speed of 4-6 kBps earlier ?

Yes i do get.

I talked to the airTel people about the EDGe
They say its anyday better,

according to them Gprs has 37.2- 43.2kbps, and
on EDGe you can have 5 times
of that.

so, i can say it may be a Wireless Broadband!!!!!! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom