Eclipse & Opera Complaining about Java-Eclipse fails to load

Status
Not open for further replies.

unni

In the zone
Hi,
Recently, I installed Eclipse. When I tried to run it, it gave me the following error and exited.
JVM terminated. Exit code=1
/usr/bin/java
-Xms64M
-Xmx256M
-jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar
-os linux
-ws gtk
-arch x86
-launcher /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse
-name Eclipse
-showsplash 600
-exitdata 80009
-configuration /home/unni/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_3.2.0-mdk/configuration
-Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=never
-vm /usr/bin/java
-vmargs
-Xms64M
-Xmx256M
-jar /usr/share/eclipse/startup.jar

Also, when I launch Opera (from Konsole), it first gives these errors:
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libjvm.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libawt.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

and then this:
Opera encountered a problem during plug-in setup.
Plug-ins will not work properly.
Check your installation.

Could not locate plug-in 'libnpp.so'.
This executable is included in the install package.

Plug-in path
(Path can be modified in Preferences dialog)

/usr/lib/opera/plugins
/usr/lib/netscape/plugins
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

I checked the '/usr/lib/opera/plugins' directory and found that the 'libnpp.so' library was already there. If I click cancel, Opera will run, but without Java and this plugin.

As I was typing this, I checked Azureus, and its also giving error as
/usr/share/java-utils/java-functions: line 116: 24182 Segmentation fault $JAVACMD $FLAGS -classpath $CLASSPATH $OPTIONS $MAIN_CLASS "$@"

I tried reinstalling Java thinking that the problem is related to it, but that didn't help. Please advice. I am using Mandriva 2007.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
What jvm are you using? I am myself facing the same problem in Mandriva 2007, too. I can't get Azureus to start. I guess there must be some info about it in the FAQ's. Haven't bothered to check it yet.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Unni, Have you installed Sun's JDK 1.5 Tiger? Eclipse IDE needs Java JRE 1.5 for it to run.
Open FireFox browser, & type about: plugins in the URL textfield (Press Enter).
Remember there should not be any space after ":"!! Here ': p' produces a smiley!!
That's why I have left a blank space after ":"!!
Now FireFox will display the plugins you have installed including Flash, Java etc.,

Last edited:
OP
unni

unni

In the zone
tech_your_future said:
What jvm are you using?
I had installed 'java-1.4.2-gcj-compat' rpm, if this is what you're talking about.

JGuru said:
@Unni, Have you installed Sun's JDK 1.5 Tiger? Eclipse IDE needs Java JRE 1.5 for it to run.
Open FireFox browser, & type about: plugins in the URL textfield (Press Enter).
Now FireFox will display the plugins you have installed including Flash, Java etc.,
I did as you said and Firefox reported about 2 plugins only:
Shockwave Flash -> File name: libflashplayer.so -> Shockwave Flash 7.0 r68
Default Plugin -> File name: libnullplugin.so

Now, I think I don't even hava Java installed in my system. I checked /usr/lib and in it there are some folders like java, java-1.4.0, java-1.4.1, java-1.4.2, java-1.5.0,java-1.6.0 - all of which are empty. There is another folder called /usr/lib/jvm which contains some folders by the names java-1.4.2-cacao-1.4.2.0, java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0, java-1.4.2-jamvm-1.4.2.0, jre etc. Which rpm should I install for getting things right? I feel so stupid. :D

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Any repo that has sun java? I even downloaded sun java and installed it but doesn't seem to work for now.
It's installed in /usr/java. Let's see if I can find a way to let Azureus use it. Then same can be applied to Eclipse I guess.

OP
unni

unni

In the zone
tech_your_future said:
Any repo that has sun java? I even downloaded sun java and installed it but doesn't seem to work for now.
It's installed in /usr/java. Let's see if I can find a way to let Azureus use it. Then same can be applied to Eclipse I guess.

May be there is some environment variable containing its path.

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Guys follow my procedure:

@Mehul, You have to add the path of Sun's JDK to the '.bash_profile' (it's a hidden file)
Java is installed in the directory '/usr/java/jdk1.5.0/bin'. Add it to the PATH environment variable.
I have worked in Mandriva Linux using Sun's JDK & Forte Java IDE a few years back.

@Unni, 'java-1.4.2-gcj' should not be installed!! Uninstall it first.
You need to install Sun's Java JDK 1.5.0. Download it from here
Select JDK 5.0 Update 9 Click on 'Download' button. You must select the
Linux RPM in self-extracting file -> jdk-1_5_0_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin

Installing Java JDK in Mandriva Linux:

Open the Terminal Window & type:

$ su -
(Enter root password)

# cd <directory where you saved Java JDK>

# ./jdk-1_5_0_09-linux-i586-rpm.bin

You'll get the License agreement, press the "Spacebar" to move to the next page.
To accept the License Agreement , type 'y'. Java JDK will be uncompressed &
installed in the directory '/usr/java'

The '.bash_profile' file is a hidden file in your '/home/mehul' directory. I assume
mehul as the login name. Now add the :/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_09/bin to the PATH environment
variable. Save the file. Logout & login for the changes to take effect. That's all.
Open the Terminal Window & type:

$ Java

Now start the Eclipse IDE. Everything will work perfectly!!

Last edited:
OP
unni

unni

In the zone
Re: Eclipse & Opera Complaining about Java-Eclipse fails to load [Solved]

Thank you guys (tech_your_future & JGuru) for your help, and sorry for this late reply. Based on JGuru's advice, I downloaded jre & jdk from java.sun.com. First, I installed jdk just as he told. But, I didn't know how to set the path. So, I decided to try later. Today, I installed jre hoping that the problem will be automatically solved. But, the problem existed. So, I searched the net and found this page *club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB/UtilsUjava that solved my problem with Eclipse. Azureus was still giving the error messages. So, as mentioned in the page, I downloaded the Azureus tarball from sourceforge website which works excellently. The Opera problem was also solved when I gave the path for java in Opera's preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom