Eathquake hits mumbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Tremors were felt in early hours of morning in Mumbai on 17th September 2008. At around 3:15 a.m. mumbai was shook by an earthquake of yet unknown magnitude. The details should be confirmed by the media today. It was higher than the previous quake, that occured in June 2008.
Co-incidently, someone had predicted a quake on 17th of September at 1:45 IST. See *suvratk.blogspot.com/2008/06/mumbai-engineer-claims-new-earthquake.html

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I didn't felt a thing, was fast asleep. ;)
But just heard on FM about it. Many people confirmed the quake which was not a light one.
Let's see what the news guys have to say.

Last edited:
OP
M

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Did you feel it Mehul?
Yeah, that's why I put up this topic and blogged and twitted about it, too. No idea about the further details but I have reasons to believe it was a higher one than last time but quite far away from the epicenter.

No news on tv!
yes, I went to check that too, but couldn't find anything. Prolly later in the morning it will be, considering it's not such a big news as delhi blasts and crisis in the financial world.

Last edited:

ruturaj3

Journeyman
My mom also asked me at 3.30 did u feel the earthquake ? at the same time my lovebirds starts shouting, i heard the sound of crows from outside. i think birds hav sense of earthquake more than man. Bcoz the live on trees they first come to know about it.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I didn't feel a thing, thankfully. I don't like anyone disturbing me while I am sleeping.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
^^ A quake wasnot enough to wake you up :O. You should be related to Kumbakarna :D.

Nothing in news yet.

iinfi

mekalodu
i slept @ 3am yday and within minutes felt something shaking but was not sure whether it was quake or not.
jus b4 going to bed i had read abt AIG going down and job cuts in India etc. i really thought it was jus ideas running riot in my mind.

btw since when did USGS start reporting quakes inside Indian mainland. India for a long time had not had their seismographs mapped to the USGS servers. though it is possible for 80% seismographs arnd the world to measure magnitude of the quake occuring in any part of the world, location of exact epicenter is possible only by instruments closer to the epicenter.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Damn you hardon collider !! :D

Earthquake Details

Magnitude 4.7
Date-Time Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 21:47:14 UTC
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 at 03:17:14 AM at epicenter

Location 17.296°N, 73.784°E
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region MAHARASHTRA, INDIA

Distances 90 km (55 miles) NW of Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India
135 km (85 miles) S of Pune, Maharashtra, India
205 km (130 miles) SSE of Mumbai (Bombay), Maharashtra, India
1305 km (810 miles) SSW of NEW DELHI, Delhi, India

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 16.1 km (10.0 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 23, Nph= 23, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=0.94 sec, Gp=166°,
M-type=body magnitude (Mb), Version=7

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom