Easiest way to get a Ubuntu 6.06 CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

titun

Hi all. Few of my friends stay near Bangalore (20 KMs away from the city,don't know the exact location). They need to use a linux distribution to learn C/C++ for their Embedded Systems course. They do not have net connection at home currently so cannot download any distro right now.

I would recommend them either Ubuntu 6.06 or FC5. I guess they have C compilers inbuild, & I have little knowledge of these 2 flavours so can guide them for the installation part.

So what will be the easiest ( or quickest way, coz they need it very soon) out of the following :-

- Order a Ubuntu CD from *shipit.ubuntu.com/
- Find a LUG near by their city/location, contact a member and get a CD burned.
- Order one free from *free.thelinuxstore.ca/index.php as the "Order Free Linux - All Distro!!!" thread says.
- Let me burn for them and send to them via a relative who is going to visit them.

Which will be most practical/fast solution ?

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Get it from here : *bangalore.gnu.org.in/?Free_Software_CD_Database
Get them Fedora Core 5 or Debian 3.1 (DVD). It takes time if you order from
Ubuntu's website( 4 weeks)!! Also Ubuntu needs a broadband connection to
install the packages using Synaptic. So buy Fedora or Debian DVD.

dabster

In the zone
Ordering CD's from anywhere wud take time....
If u hv ubuntu CD's u can send it to 'em....

for installing and configuring C++/C compilers on Ubuntu

just write
$sudo apt-get install build-essentials

It will ask u to put CD in...
build-essentials is a pseudo package which takes care of all dependencies required by compilers....

cheers,
dabster

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
i would recommend giving em Ubuntu 6.06 DVD It's got all useful packages + all packages which u want. get this one n you won't need to connect to the net again to download ubuntu packages .

btw i'm in lucknow , and downloaded Ubuntu + Kubuntu n all other linux distro dvd's , if ny1 wants i can give em .

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
But if you download the entire packages of Ubuntu 6.06 using Synaptic, you
need 3 DVDs to burn them all!! That's from my personal experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom