Status
Not open for further replies.

rowdy8344645

Right off the assembly line
I had a query abt the regional settings of dvds.
what is the recommended setting so that all the dvds available here can be played?

I bought a Starwars Ep 3 DVD and it only supports Region 3: SE Asia. i thought thats the region i'm in so i said ok.

Recently bought a "Harry potter prisoner of azkaban" DVD and it supports only choices 2, 4, 5. why doesnt it support SE asia if it is sold here?

is there any way to get around the Regional settings?

Please help :(

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
U might have brought an imported/special collector edition one ....

Ur drive can change athe region code to about 3-5 times (depends on the maker and the make) and after that it gets locked...NOTHING can change it...

Though a few tools do help in that, it is an illegal matter, so google it up and dont request here :)

OP
R

rowdy8344645

But why do they sell it here if they do not support the region??
And what region does india fall in?

BTW i bought the DVD from a Planet M store.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
For India it is 5

I dont know Planet M, they sell collector's edition for core fans who want a special bonus in thier products, and that type is rarely released with region in consideration, mebbe u can ask them to take it back on the grounds that it is not for indian DVD players...

OP
R

rowdy8344645

Are u sure it is 5? cause it says: Russia Eastern Europe and Africa.

And Planet M stores do not take DVDs back if there is no manufacturing defect. I guess i should have checked before! What about hindi movies dvds?
are they made for 5?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah, Hindi are made for 5 if made in india (which is obvious :p)

5 is iNDIA

5 = India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries

From HomeTheatreInfo

puja399

In the zone
QwertyManiac said:
Though a few tools do help in that, it is an illegal matter, so google it up and dont request here :)

Very interesting concept about legality indeed!!!!

So, if I buy some software, namely "DVD Region Free", etc., and use it to run movies on my region-locked DVD Drive, which law do I violate??? The Information Technologies Act ? or even IPC???? No, there is no law in India, or even in the world, that makes region free softwares illegal. In fact, it is perfectly LEGAL to use those softwares.
Region encoding of DVD movies is not a matter of regulation of law, but a matter of trade agreement.

Tech&ME

Banned
puja399 said:
QwertyManiac said:

So, if I buy some software, namely "DVD Region Free", etc., and use it to run movies on my region-locked DVD Drive, which law do I violate??? The Information Technologies Act ? or even IPC???? No, there is no law in India, or even in the world, that makes region free softwares illegal. In fact, it is perfectly LEGAL to use those softwares.
Region encoding of DVD movies is not a matter of regulation of law, but a matter of trade agreement.

hey miss are you a lawyer ? :?:

BTW. for people who would like to know more details on DVD Region Codes visit here

Note: I will still look into the legality of this and post back if required.

puja399 said:

I will second you. A lot of users on this forum are quick to give their (worthless) opinions on what's legal and what's not, without knowing anything about the Indian IT Act 2000 or anti piracy laws. If it's illegal in US it does not mean the same applies here. There's no law or sub-clause in India which makes region bypassing illegal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lot's of DVD players (standalones) sold in India do not even have region protection. I've even bought a Philips DVD player in India that came with instructions on how to bypass/disable region protection by entering a code on the remote.

rowdy8344645 - just let me know the make and model of your DVD player, and I'll tell you how to bypass region protection.

-Keith

goobimama

 Macboy
Using DVD Region+CSS Free. Excellent tool. Runs in the background and I never have problems with these stupid regions...

OP
R

rowdy8344645

I am not talking about DVD players. I want to play the DVD on my PC.
I have a Liteon combo SOHC-5236K. Any way of making my drive region free?

puja399

In the zone
rowdy8344645 said:
I am not talking about DVD players. I want to play the DVD on my PC.
I have a Liteon combo SOHC-5236K. Any way of making my drive region free?

*forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=3&manufactor=17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom