DVD Writing become very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
about 2 days ago,my dvd writer suddenly became very slow...earlier it wud write a 4gb dvd in about 20 min at 8x, now it takes 50min - 1hr. i've tried changing mode to DMA...it was already set to DMA so it didn't make any diff. Also, while writing a dvd, CPU usage keeps spiking

1. OS - Windows XP Pro SP2
2. Writer - TSST Corp SH-S182D
3. Software used - Nero 7
4. Sys Specs - AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 2GB 400Mhz RAM and ASUS A8N-VM mobo, ATi X1600Pro gfx card
5. Media tried - moserbaer, national and writex

*s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/nero.JPG *s2.supload.com/thumbs/default/cpu-20080122073439.jpg

pushkaraj

In the zone
by wat method did u try to change the dma mode:thru nero or thru device manager?

because sometimes nero is unable to set the dma mode so u hav to do it manually from the device manager.

OP
xbonez

xbonez

did thru device manager

this is what is set

Device............transfer mode...........current transfer mode

Primary IDE......DMA if available.........Ultra DMA mode 6
Primary IDE......DMA if available.........PIO mode
Secondary IDE..DMA if available.........Ultra DMA mode 6
Secondary IDE..DMA if available.........Not applicable

note : is it normal to have 2 primary IDEs and two secondary IDEs...also,. if it makes a diff., I have a virtual disc drive but its been there for ages while the prob just started 3 days back

and what about the CPU usage spikes??

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Windows XP and Vista

1. On XP, click Start button > (Settings) > Control Panel > System, click on the Hardware tab, then on the "Device Manager" button on the Device Manager panel. On Vista, click Start button > Control Panel > System and Maintenance, then scroll down and click on Device Manager (or with Vista "Classic View", there is a direct link to Device Manager in the Control Panel).
2. Look for "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and click the "+" sign to left of it
3. Right-click on each channel in turn, hit Properties, and click the "Advanced Settings" tab
4. For each listed device, make sure the transfer mode is set to DMA, not to PIO. On XP this is done by selecting "DMA if available" in the dropdown of each device. On Vista, this is done by highlighting each device then check the box in the panel underneath "Enable DMA".
5. Click OK (and a second OK on XP) then reboot.

Forcing DMA by uninstalling

If after reboot you find that the drive has reverted to PIO, the only real solution is to uninstall the drive (or channel on Windows XP and later), and allow Windows to detect and reinstall the drive or channel upon reboot. After this, DMA should be enabled and should persist. For example on Windows XP or Vista:

1. Right-click over the Channel or Controller that has the disc which only offers PIO mode
2. Click "Uninstall", or Properties > Driver tab then click "Uninstall"
3. Confirm the uninstall if prompted, then reboot
4. If the "Add new hardware" Wizard does not run, click Windows Start button > Control Panel > Add Hardware
5. Install the driver Windows prompts you to
6. PIO mode should now be replaced with Ultra DMA mode

utsav

damn busy...
Just follow my registry tweaking way in the change pio mode to udma tutorial in the tutorials section and delete the checksum.hope this helps

OP
xbonez

xbonez

@utsav : tried ur tutorial...the second Primary IDE's current transfer mode remained PIO....maybe i screwed up somewhere..

@lucky_star : ran the script u gave...the second Primary IDE's current transfer mode has changed to UDMA mode 2 (NOT UDMA mode6)....lemme see if speeds have resumed

burning a dvd now...will report as soon as it is done

just burnt 4442MB at 12x in 00:06:25 :D. the drive was making a VERY loud whirring sound though...anyways, i guess i can live with that.

thanx a lot for ur help guys....

Just burnt another 4gb. this time at 8x...took bout 8min and was completely noiseless..yipee!!

Problem solved....thnx a ton all of u....

Thread may be closed now

Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Use that script, whenever you notice any speed lag in DVD writing, copying or playing. It resets everything to its default.

This is a regular problem with all DVD writers in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom