DVD writer buying simplified

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiFriend

In the zone
Buying Dual Layer DVD writer.

Most magazines have rated below models of DVD writer for best buy- feb/march 2006. Buy any one from below; make your decision base on price tag and service center.

LITE-ON SHM-165P6S = SONY DW-G120A
BenQ DW 1670 = SONY DRU-820A

Common general Specifications
16x DVD±R,
8x/6x DVD+RW/DVD-RW.
8x/6x DVD+R DL/DVD-R DL (Double/Dual Layer discs of 8.5 GB)
5x DVD-RAM
(Note: if you are not going to use DVD-RAM media, you can save premium price by buying below model. only difference is, they do not have DVD-RAM media support)
Lite-on SHW-160P6S = SONY DW-Q120A
BenQ DW 1640 = SONY DRU-810A

SONY writers are rebadges
E.g. SONY DW-G120A is designed and manufactured by LiteOn and its hardware is identical to that of LITE-ON SHM-165P6S, but it has a SONY name and logo, and a usually higher SONY price.
SONY DRU-820A is rebage of BENQ DW 1670.

(Note: forget about LightScribe technology, a way of creating gray title/picture on DVD surface. you have to pay hefty price for that model of DVD Writer and its rarely available Media.)

Last edited:

mod-the-pc

Back to School Mr. Bean !
digiFriend said:
(Note: forget about LIGHT-SUBSCRIBE technology, a way of creating gray title/picture on DVD surface. you have to pay hefty price for that model of DVD Writer and its rarely available Media.)

@digiFriend thats LightScribe and not LIGHT-SUBSCRIBE as you have said.
There's a competitor to that technology and its called LabelFlash introduced by Yamaha & Fuji.

hsnayvid

Journeyman
digiFriend said:
(Note: forget about LightScribe technology, a way of creating gray title/picture on DVD surface. you have to pay hefty price for that model of DVD Writer and its rarely available Media.)

I think benq 1655 is a sweet drive.
Saw really nice reviews on the net.
Thinking of changing my benq 1640 for it.
but the sad thing is that I can't find it here!:(

LS media is getting cheaper day-by-day.

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
Any idea where the Benq DW1655 is available in chennai.... I am trying to buy this for past two weeks but not able to find it in chennai..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom