DVD Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

shyam911

Journeyman
I have a Samsung DVD Drive and an LG cd writer installed in my pc. Recently i borrowed a pioneer DVD writer from my friend to take backups from my 80Gb HDD. I took backups on 6 dvd's and after burning checked them on the pioneer drive, it worked fine. But now if i load the dvd into my old samsung drive i get a message "Windows cannot read from this disk. the disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows". if i load other dvd's (digit etc) it works fine.

I also took backup of my mp3 collection and that works in my plain old dvd/mp3 player but not on my samsung dvd drive. And as i mentioned all the dvd's that i took backup in worked well in the dvd writer.
Since i returned the dvd writer, i am stuck!

OP
S

shyam911

Journeyman
I user Nero Burning Rom and i wrote at 4x speed. in a 8x dvd. i was told writing at high speeds might cause problems so i wrote at 4x speed only

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
What format were the DVDs you burned in? DVD-R?? There are multiple standards for DVDs and it might be that your DVD drive does not support the format in which the DVD was written. Please post details about your DVD drive and the type of media used.

OP
S

shyam911

Journeyman
The format was normal data format. I used Moser Baer dvd-r 8X. i burned them as normal data compilation, just as i do in normal CD-R. My DVD drive is a ordinary Samsung DVD ROM SD-816B

OP
S

shyam911

Journeyman
Woah... This might sound crazy but i tried my dvd on a couple of other drives, a samsung dvd drive the same as mine at my friends place and a sony dvd drive at my cousin's place and the dvd's seemed to work well there. except mine

saROMan

QA Juggler
hmm seems that ur Samung Drive is a Bit old and thats why cant read the DVD's which seem to be burnt at higher Speed...try tweaking ur DVD ROM by means of some Tools to Run at Higher speed say 16X and then try...Hope it works

kl_ravi

Journeyman
Just run the Nero Info Tool and post the screenshot here (Yours' , Your Friends etc). I have posted screenshot of My CD RW & Virtual Drive below....

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/viperjay/CDInfo_1.jpg

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/viperjay/CDInfo_2.jpg

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/viperjay/CDInfo_3.jpg

OP
S

shyam911

Journeyman
kl_ravi i'll post the screenshot soon. but i found out one thing. When i checked my DVD drive under DVD Region properties > it said Region 5 and changes left 4. Earlier when i bought it, it said "No Region Selected". I am not sure how it changed (could have happened when i loaned it out to a friend). How do i change it back?.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
DVD Drives can be set to particular regions in order to play DVD movies. You get only 5 changes and after that, the Region Code is locked to the last one. So let it stay at Region 5. There are ways to get around the Region codes like using software such as DVD Region Free or flashing your firmware. As far as I know, you cannot go back to the No Region Selected setting.

OP
S

shyam911

Journeyman
Thanks Nemesis, but i need one more clarification will SW like DVD Region Free allow me to access data DVD's?. Or is it only for Video DVD. The main issue is i had backed up my projects and other stuff (mostly doc's pdf and exe's) in those dvd's.

OP
S

shyam911

Journeyman
Guys i really need some help here. I am able to view all dvd's (both video and audio) without any hassles and also without the help of any 3rd party tools like DVD region free. But i am not able to access that particular set of data dvd's that i burned using my friend's pioneer dvd burner. And the worst thing is that those dvd's work on all other drives except mine :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom