DVD-RW query

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecyclone2k

In the zone
Hey Everyone,

Now that I got 700mb left in my 80gb hdd I finally need to buy a DVD-RW. But, since following hardware market for a while can somebody, please help me with DVD-RW purchase. Here are my queries -

1. I need support for Dual Layer DVD-RWs. Are there 2 types of DVD burners?? One for dual and single, and other just for single??

2. What brand/ model in your opinion are nice? My budget is 4-5k, I would prefer internal one.

3. Can any DVD-RW be able to write and read any type of DVD? DVD+R, +RW, etc??

3. Any other suggestion/ tip?

Thanks.

Last edited:

go_gamez

In the zone
u have a budget..which i dont think is needed even for a dual layer dvd burner...
u can get a sony dvd dual layerwriter..820 -A for less than Rs. 2700 .and it is one of the best dvd writer....it can write both single and dual layer dvds..u buy this and use rest of u r budget to buy dual layer dvds which r quiet expensive..

tuxfan

Technomancer
I will support that! You can go for a Sony. They are nice :) BTW, dual layered media (blank DVD-R) is still not too cheap and is not too easily available at least here in Lamington Road.

Yes, there are 2 types of burners and 2 types of media as well.

Even you take an internal writer, you can use an IDE to USB convertor for about Rs. 700-800 and use that one as an external one. ;)

OP
T

thecyclone2k

In the zone
Thanks for the info. But, my hardware guy says to go for HP as they are their authorised service people here. Any comments on hp??

Then, what is the fastest DVD-Writer at the moment?? and it's speed?

And, will dual layer writer be able to burn single layer too??

I don't wanna upgrade again in 1-2 years so, I am thinking for a long term perspective. So, dual layer writer should be better ain't it??

Also, what is the current prices of blank dual layer and single layer discs??

tuxfan

Technomancer
Where are you located thecyclone2k? I have never heard anyone recommending or using a HP DVD-Writer!! Does your dealer have max margin in HP products? But where are you located? It may be true if you are in a small town.

You can write single layer DVDs in Dual Layered writers. Thats not a problem for sure. I have a DL writer in my VAIO and it burns SL DVDs.

I have not yet bought DL DVD-R, but SL DVD-R of Moser Baer was somewhere around 22-25. That was some months ago.

Yes, if you are thinking long-term, go fo DL DVD R/W drivers.

OP
T

thecyclone2k

In the zone
Well, I am at Ranchi, Jharkhand which is a small town. The dealer said that in case of problems it might be easy to get replaced or repaired as they are the authorised people. They also said the gurantee works better with hp systems (I got assembled) but, they will get it done as they are the local dealers for hp disregard of my build.

My dad knows 'em so, I dunno if they are lying or saying truth?

So, are hp writers not that good??

BTW, have digit guys done any DVD-RW reviews lately??

OP
T

thecyclone2k

In the zone
Well, the reason those hardware guys gave was, if the rw got any problems it would be sent from here to Kolkata/ Mumbai and then some more places (I got sleepy by his lecture) so, it would take lot time.

My last CD-RW of LG got damaged due to internal reasons so, I want to confirm everything this time.

Thanks royal for your tip!

tuxfan

Technomancer
Frankly, I have never seen anyone recommending HP DVD writers so far. All are saying Sony and some say BenQ. But HP?? Not a single.

Why don't you inquire at some other dealers and see what they say about various brands?

OP
T

thecyclone2k

In the zone
hmmmmm.... well, I will ask other dealers then too.

And, what bout the speed? What is the best speed offered in terms of DVD-RWs??

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
just to warn, thatIDE to usb convertor case is gonna shake all the gears inside, might loose the alignment

shashank4u

Youngling
out of :
1. shw 1635s,
2.shw 1693s,
3.shw160p6s,
4.shw165p6s
which is the latest model , as 1,2,3 are nearly the same
and 4. shw 165p6s have support for dvdRAM also.
which one u recommend guys :
thanx in advance.

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
Hi, i want to buy liteon shm165p6s , can anyone give me approx price of it.
Its urggent as i am buying it tommorow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom