dvd rom or combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikramkh

Broken In
well i today went to inquire about these dvd roms, now this shopkeeper was tellin me that its better to buy a combo drive then a dvd rom cos of the very less difference in the two prices but the thing is i already have a cd writer and i only need it for the purpose of readin cds and dvds so which one should i go for as any would do.

Why you are planning to take DVD Combo/DVD ROM,try a DVD+RW Double Layer Writer,Price Rs 2400 for Sony DRU-820A Double Layer DVD Writer,you can do all writing/reading with this drive,this drive supports DVD-9 (8.5 GB) also 16X speed writing.so never think of DVD Combo writer, also insist on sony.its best for DVD/CD Recorders.

Last edited:

cyrux

In the zone
And if you are still short on money go for lg h10N , great dvd-writer at 1950 bucks. I have read many good reviews about it. It wont get better than this man...

OP
vikramkh

vikramkh

Broken In
well its nt that i m short of money or something i need a drive to read dvds and cds as i already have a cd writer and i dont need a dvd writer so i was a lill bit confused on whether to buy a dvd rom or combo as as if i make it read really hard from the combo, i have heard they get screwed up when you make excessive reading from them so just wana clear this about dvd combo

tuxfan

Technomancer
How old is your CD-Writer? If its not that old, then don't even spend Rs. 100 more on another one! If its somewhat old or too slow, only then think about it.

royal

Padawan
well if you don't need dvd writer then go for a dvd reader instead of a combo :)

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
No combo please , I have had nightmares using my stupid combo drive(LG). My drive used to writes CD's at a blistering speed, but later it has struck in 8X dono why , even reading CD 's is nightmare , and forget DVD+R's , even a brand new DVD open after a long time . tough Pressed DVD do read correctly. I suggest you to go only for a DVD-ROM drive or else a DVD+RW .

OP
vikramkh

vikramkh

Broken In
alright i was also thinkin of the same thin cos nyways i only need it for hardcore reading and i already have a cd rw so i was a lill worried about the readin power of combo if use it to read a lot so would be better to go for a dvd rom cos combo may have problems later in case of too much reading

Zaysen

Broken In
The Fears Raised By Many are True and Similar to my thinking.Since all motherboard support two optical drives on one single IDE Cable the Best Option is to Trash any form of a Combo Drive at all costs and Opt for Either DVD Rom & CD Writer or DVD Rom & DVD Writer.The Advantage of Having two seperate drives are that if one conks the other is always at hand and for disc to disc copy two drives are better than one combo. But My View Till Date about DVD Writer is that it will become popular only when vista is realised and more software ships in DVD Format Like the Norton Antivirus 2006. But i really doubt if home user's really create Data in Gb's to be Burnt onto DVD's. For Regular back Ups Portable External USB Hard Disk Seems More Attractive than a DVD Writer.

royal

Padawan
Zaysen said:
But i really doubt if home user's really create Data in Gb's to be Burnt onto DVD's.

What r u talking ? :confused: I have a BSNL UL900+ plan and I download 1GB (movies/MP3s/Ebooks) per day on an average ;) So I really make use of my dvd writer . I am sure there are many more like me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom