DVD player in Suse11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
This might have been repeated earlier too, but I did not get a good solution. Since DVD and MP3 are proprietary codec, they are not available in suse packages. Any idea how can I play DVD movies and MP3? While I was looking for it over net, I came across this this thread (*www.linuxquestions.org/questions/s...-movie-in-suse-9.2-pro....please-help-301509/), where a solution for the same is mentioned.
You have to search the web for:

libdvdcss-1.2.8-1.i586.rpm
libxine1-1_rc6a-0.pm.0.i686.rpm

& if you want to

w32codec-all-20040916-0.pm.0.i386.rpm
(all the movie codecs you need)
I don't want to jump into it unless some of you recommend me to do the same. Which of them should I install, what is your opinion on those packages?

There is a mention of libdvdcss by NucleusKore at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=905041&postcount=24
What is it about? How to go about installing it and where can I find it? It is not available in Yast- package selection.
Please suggest.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
*opensuse-community.org/Multimedia#Restricted_Multimedia_Formats_.28MP3.2C_MPEG-4.2C_etc..29

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I had been there and attempted to install the package but somehow was not very confident because a message scared me.
Now, I am in the process of installing the same..hope it turns out good. Thank you!

By the way, is it safe to import the key? Should I import the key or not?

Last edited:
OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Thanks, but some package could not be installed, and some required installation CD, which I had to skip. I don't know if installation was successful or not.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
The installation was NOT successful.

Add the following repositories through YaST

OSS

Non-OSS
to compenste for the missing cd.

Packman

VLC
for multimedia packages

See this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97803

Then open YaST, Software Management. As soon as you do that you will be prompted to fix the broken dependencies.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I got the installation DVD and tried again...VLC player got installed. It even played a DVD movie, but NO SOUND. I have checked all connections, volume is turned on...but no audio. I tried playing audio file in totem, vlc, banshee and real player...yet no audio...any idea?

I tested the same in sound preferences and I got an error
audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 !
audioconver! audiosample! gconfaudiosink
profile= music: Failed to connect: connection refused

This is what is present in sound configuration:
82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller
• Configured as sound card number 0
• Driver snd-intel8x0

The help file says
Use the general tabbed section of the sound preference tool to specify when to launch the gnome sound server. When the server is active, the gnome desktop can play sounds.
I am unable to locate the sound preference tool.
Does it mean that the system is playing dvd movies, libdvdcss is already installed?

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
To play dvd you just require libdvb which you must be having. Now libdvdcss is required to descramble dvds for ripping.
Gnome has some problems with the sound server. Have you added the SUSE update repository and updated your system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom