dvd movie backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsnayvid

Journeyman
Which is the best software to bakup a 7.x GB DVD on a single 4.7 GB disc??

I want to backup some of my movie collection.

Secondly what is the cost of double layered dvd +/- R or RW?

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
i dont think you can overburn that much!!
try a Dual layer disc! write up to ~9GB

and secondly i just got this SONY DVD+-RW, DW-Q28A for 2800(OEM version) 4 days back

there are 2 versions available in the market(nehru place) both are legal and carry one yr warranty
1. OEM - lacks the tray "sony" logo and outer box= Rs2800
2. Retail - Same as OEM + the logo and the manual+ outer box = Rs3300

dont know about other brands.. now i dont even go near the samsung showroom :lol: my samsung HDD,Floppy, CD-RW, laser printer, screwed up in the last one month!!
well, it's just me.. please make your own decision.. but i recommend sony

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
hsnayvid said:
DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Keep in mind there will be a slight loss in quality if you backup a 7 GB movie on a 4.7 GB disk. Go here for an excellent guide on backing up your movies.

hsnayvid said:
Secondly what is the cost of double layered dvd +/- R or RW?
You mean dual layered don't you? Double layer means you can write on both sides of the disk. I don't think double layer disks are available.
A dual layer disk is quite expensive. Atleast 150 bucks. You're better off using an ordinary +/- R to backup your movies. The quality loss isn't that much.
There are no rewritable dual layered media. Anyways, no current writer even supports dual layer RW.

drvarunmehta said:
You mean dual layered don't you? Double layer means you can write on both sides of the disk.

That's double sided. Dual layer and double layer are terms that are often used interchangeably by our technically challenged brothers and sisters. :lol:

Ciao,
Keith

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
Keith Sebastian said:
hsnayvid said:

Use DVDShrink. Look here for guide and free download - *www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

- Keith

I tried Clone dvd but am not satisfied with the quality.

will try dvd shrink.
was it on the didit dvd anytime??

hsnayvid said:
Keith Sebastian said:
hsnayvid said:

Use DVDShrink. Look here for guide and free download - *www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

- Keith

I tried Clone dvd but am not satisfied with the quality.

will try dvd shrink.
was it on the didit dvd anytime??

Quality will depend on amount of compression which increases with movie size, number of audio tracks, amount of extras etc. Keep only the main movie and menus and soundtrack. Replace the rest with a still picture (that says - this feature is not available). DVD Shrink will do it for you.

Don't forget to use the advanced options and analyse feature in Shrink.

- Keith

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
well dvd shrink gives lots of squares in the part where there is a song sequence.

Tried all features (simple advanced- smooth-sharp)
Not up to the mark!. :(

will try ghrink to 5 today! :)

geekysage

Journeyman
I faced a similar problem with dvd backup softwares and eventually worked out a solution. See, when you compress a regular 8.5GB movie DVD to a single 4.7GB DVD, there will obviously be some quality loss. But if you really want the quality to remain almost the same, you wouldn't mind spending a li'l time ripping the DVD to Xvid/DivX, would you?

I tried DVDXcopy and CloneDVD before shifting to this much better way. On my X2 system, CloneDVD was replicating a DVD movie in ~18 minutes, but as you mentioned, the quality was far from satisfactory. So i did some research and found this guide: *www.rita.lt/guides/GKnot_DVDtoAVI.htm.

It uses GordianKnot ripping application with DVD Decrypter to rip any DVD movie to your choice of codec. I prefer Xvid but would experiment with x264 soon. You need to download GordianKnot and DVD Decrypter (google them) and then just follow the guide to backup a movie DVD. I prefer 2CD output i.e. movie output in two 700MB files. Not that i am gonna write those files in CDs but that setup works fine for me. The quality could be increased even more by selecting larger output file (i.e. lower compression = better quality.)

My system (AMD X2 with 2GBs of RAM) takes around 1 hour and 30 minutes to rip the DVD with the deinterlacing filter applied (most of the times.) Clearly, this does take a lot of time but i generally start the ripping late in the night and leave it overnight so it doesn't matter.

I'm sure this is the way to go if you want quality, otherwise compromise and have backups in around 20 minutes.

By the way, the guide may seem overwhelming the first time you use it but once you setup the codec(s), it'll be a matter of seconds to start a new ripping.

con_tester

Journeyman
I use Ace DVD Backup. And its cool.
And I think you want the price of Dual Layer DVD Media. Not DVD Writetrs. Am I right.
If yes my wendor says that Dual layer DVD cost
almost 250 rupees each.

OP
H

hsnayvid

Journeyman
con_tester said:
And I think you want the price of Dual Layer DVD Media. Not DVD Writetrs. Am I right.
If yes my wendor says that Dual layer DVD cost
almost 250 rupees each.

exactly. 250 a disc is too much.

I'd try the tutorials above and if the qualityis less, then i'll spolit the movie in 2 dvd's w/out any compression.

I've heard that it is possible.
Any clues??

plsoft

Journeyman
Well i think Nero Recode is the best software for backing up 8.5 GB movies in a single 4.7 GB Disc. I have tried DVD Shrink but i think it takes a lot of time.
However, let me tell u that u will have to sacrifice quality of the movie (it comes to around 68% of the original movie).
Nways its just my point of view, pls correct me if i'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom