Dual Layered DVD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

kl_ravi

Journeyman
Hi Friends,

First let me tell you that I have searched for this topic and didn't find any posts worth posting this message.

I have a Samsung DVD rom drive (single layer) installed on my PC and the ALCOHOL 120% DVD properties says that Dual layer DVD's are not supported (which is correct to the best of my knowledge)

But I can play Dual layered DVD's (DVD's with 3 Movies on one disk) on my DVD rom drive. can somebody explain how is this possible?

Can somebody also explain the principle and functioning of Dual layered DVD's and its advantages/disadvantages over single layered DVD's

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well The 3-In-One Movie Cd Which u played not Necessarily Be a Dual-Layer Dvd Disc....Just Find Out what was the actual Capacity of the Disc.....If it was Beyond The Standard 4.3Gb Capacity Then It was a Dual Layer Disc....and if it was Accomodated In The 4.3Gb Capacity Then It was a Single Layer Multi Movie Written Dvd Disc.....Since Pirated DVD's Can now Be Written with more than one movie per disc on a standard Dvd so its not much of a big issue for now....Anyways The Dual Layer Dvd's Work on The same Principle as Of the standard As the Single layer Does...But The only difference is that Its has much higher Capacity Than The Standard Disc and as Such There are Not much Flaws To it....And yea I suppose The Samsung DVD Rom Drive That u posses Even Though Says by Alcohol That It does not Read Dual Layer Discs Can Sometimes or Mostly Read The Dual Layer Disc's as Most Of em support this format now-a-days......Here's The Link to find out more On DVD Media's and Thier Working Processes *www.videohelp.com/dvd .... 8)

theraven

Technomancer
dual layered discs can be READ by any dvd rom drive
what ur dvd writer means is that it cannot WRITE dual layered DVD's !!

DUAL LAYERED DVD's or DVD9's as they are called have double the capacity ( i like to call it data density ;) ) as DVDs' or single layered DVD discs .. or the normal Discs u get ....
also there is something called as DVD10's or DUAL SIDED DVD's
which is basically 2 DVD5's ... one on each side
yup ... u have to flip the DVD to read the rest of the content ;)

DUAL LAYERED simply means ( in comparison ) that one side ( the read / write side ) has 2 layers ... as opposed to flippin the DVD for reading the rest of the INFO ! and as opposed to DVD5's which offer only 4.3 gb of space
DVD5's and DVD10's offer double the space .. ofcourse as per their name
bothe the layers/sides ( depends ont he DISC) are read by the same wavelength laser ... however writing on the second "LAYER" ( note: NOT SIDE ) is a lil difference ..
HENCE not supported by all DVD "WRITERS"
u need a special DVD WRITER ... viz a DUAL LAYERED DVD WRITER !
DL writers are currently in the DVD+R stage .. as opposed to DVD-R which is mire widely used ...
for more on DVD FORMATS search the forum for an article by sara2002 !

theraven

Technomancer
nope rohan
blue rays are different
search the forum i think go4i posted on blue ray discs !

actually here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8827
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8892

OP
kl_ravi

kl_ravi

Journeyman
Thanks for the info Raven.... :)

I have Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 and I feel i am not getting good output from the rear L & R speakers. How do i check whether my Creative speakers are giving good performance or not.??

PS:- Please excuse me for posting this query in this thread

theraven

Technomancer
hmm
well positionin wise ur rear speakers will be far from u
that is if uve set it up as im thinkin
so ull find the sound distant and sometimes non existent
simply detatch ur front speakers and check the sound from the rear
play a stereo file in 5.1 mode so that the channels are duplicated in the rear as well
cuz playing a 5.1 movie will play ony the rear channels ... and if the movie's info contains low volume / quality sound for the rear speakers ... ull get only low volume/quality from them

alternatively detatch rear speakers and check ur fronts for the diff in sound
should work enuff
tho even creatives software has a "test" button to check each channel individually
that should suffice too
but if u are a perfectionist .... :D enuff said

djmykey

Let the music play.....
i have a dvd video 1 which reads 9.5 gb i dunno if its a dual layered or something but it gets read by my liteon dvd rom i got frm digit and also no probs ever for me.

OP
kl_ravi

kl_ravi

Journeyman
Where can I download (If available for free download ) a test sound or a game/movie trailer which has good Dolby Digital/ D3D EAX sound effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom