Dual Channel RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
here's an example:

If i have two 256 MB (total = 512 MB) 400 Mhz ddr modules, and I enable dual channel, will the total capacity of the RAM be just a total of 256 MB? 256 MB that is super fast?

Milind

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
hmm Lets See Out Here Mate:
256Mb+256Mb(Dual Channel DDR) =512MB Agreeed 8)
But 256MB+256MB (U Enabling Dual Channel,Or Whatever That Means :shock:)=256MB.......Don't Quite Agree Mate :shock:
I meam Come On Now We Have to Give Out Maths Tutorials As Well.... :wink:
Btw Those Are Two Chips Of Dual Channel Operating 256MB Ram Sticks Runnning @400Mhz U Have over Pal 8)

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
no no no

You'll seem to have misunderstood. Anyway, you'll are right.

Its just that, I thought that if you enable dual channel, then ....wait a minute, I thought it would be like one of the RAID things or Mirror Hard disk things. I thought, the writing of both the RAM modules was shared and so one got better performance but sacrificed space...

Thanks anyway.
Milind

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Re: no no no

goobimama said:
You'll seem to have misunderstood. Anyway, you'll are right.

Its just that, I thought that if you enable dual channel, then ....wait a minute, I thought it would be like one of the RAID things or Mirror Hard disk things. I thought, the writing of both the RAM modules was shared and so one got better performance but sacrificed space...

Thanks anyway.
Milind
Ok Pal Here's Where U Are Wrong Cause The Dual Channel Working Pattern Is Not Like The Raid Technology.....These Chips As and when added,Adds to ur Physical Memory And The Dual Channel Mode Means Doubling The Data Transfer Speed (i.e For DDR400 Will Run At 200MHz actual clock rate, 400MHz effective clock rate, 3.2GB/s bandwidth per channel) Compared to The Normal DDR333 which gives 166MHz actual clock rate, 333MHz effective clock rate, 2.7GB/s bandwidth per channel.
ok So There ya Have It Mate.....May be I have been able to explain it to u Now :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom