dual boot win XP and Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramharis

Broken In
GDay guys

i had win XP in C: and D:(dual pro)
Recently i installed windows Vista in c:
after that iam not able to go into the D: (win XP pro)
it is not giving me the option of win Xp or vista
can somebody tell me how to configure the dual boot (the options and the 30 second time to select)

the reason is i wanted to use vista and my famaly uses xp pro

give me the commands to configure both vista and xp in the boot options(without uninstalling or formating any of the os)

thanks
Ram:)

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I believe you had XP on C: as well as D:
You installed Vista on C: which would mean that you might have lost original boot.ini
In Vista it is recommended not to edit boot.ini manually.

Use VistaBootPRO 3.1 Beta from *www.vistabootpro.org/ add thru the GUI Interface add the XP entry to the Boot Menu.
Hopefully this should solve the problem. The GUI is user friendly to understand.

shantanu

Technomancer
why dont you guys !! search the forum before posting.... i have written a tutorial on this :

here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52686

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
I think patkim is right u might have lost the original boot.ini file in C: but if not u can try this click on start->right click on computer->click on properties
->click on advanced system settings->click on continue(if uac is enabled else jump to next)->click on advanced->then under startup and recovery click on settings(here u can configure all the options u need)

anandk

Distinguished Member
How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first).
How to dual boot Vista and XP (with XP installed first)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i too messed up my vista installation first ... what did i do:

re-install xp on c: (w/o formatting)
then again install vista ... for this use shantanu tut or anandk's links

patkim

Cyborg Agent
It is true that Vista does not have Boot.ini but in dual boot config with XP the boot.ini is still used by XP I believe.
When I installed Vitsa with XP in dual boot, my boot.ini was retained.

To avoid command line BCD Edit (for those not comfortable with BCD Edit commands), I would prefer use of VistaBootPRO 3.1.
In my opinion ramharish has lost boot.ini causing XP not to boot.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
vista has its boot.ini ... adn when u install vista ... it handles ur boot options ... and not xp ... u can use vistabootpro or easybcd .... i hav used easybcd .... very handy

the thing is ... vista and xp both have their boot.ini files but vista takes over the boot options ... if u want to c xp's boot options ... u can only do it thru vista's boot mgr

In XP:

run->msconfig->boot.ini-> de-select xp as ur default OS

then wen u will boot u will go to vista's boot mgr ... thr if u select vista it will load properly ...but if u select the other OS then it will take u to xp's boot.ini ... ther again u will have the option to boot into xp or go back to the previous menu ie. vista's boot mgr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom