DSl woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjr

In the zone
hi,
I stay in bangalore.I am using Airtels DSL (128kbps).But the speeds during night time i get is in btw 4kbps to 10kbps.I know the speed is kilo bits per sec if i am not wrong,but then why cant i get more speeds than wat i am getting.Is there any software which can measure my download speeds.

regards
kris

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hmmmm.....Well Now Night Time Definetly Sucks Cause Now-a-days People Usually Have Tons Of Thier Downloading At This Point of Time Layin Huge Loads On Bandwidth And Reducing The Speed To Most Extent......Considering a Dsl Connection U Must atleast get round about 15 to 16Kbps Max Download Speeds At Night 8)

Well There Are Softwares for Checkin Out The Speed Of Ur Connection But Rather Try The McAfee's Speedometer test Rather To Check Ur Speed....Here's The Link *promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/

Enjoy :wink:

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
allwyndlima said:
Hmmmm.....Well Now Night Time Definetly Sucks Cause Now-a-days People Usually Have Tons Of Thier Downloading At This Point of Time Layin Huge Loads On Bandwidth And Reducing The Speed To Most Extent......Considering a Dsl Connection U Must atleast get round about 15 to 16Kbps Max Download Speeds At Night 8)

Well There Are Softwares for Checkin Out The Speed Of Ur Connection But Rather Try The McAfee's Speedometer test Rather To Check Ur Speed....Here's The Link *promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/

Enjoy :wink:

hi,
tx mate i checked my speed.its coming 5.97 to 8.5kbps.but my max speed is 128kbps.is it kilo bytes or bits.is there any way to improve the above speed to say a respectable speed of 15/16 kbps as u saying

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
oldmonk said:
why dont you call up airtel and complain.

they are supposed to have a responsive cutomer servcie.

u think they can do anything.Its me whoz gonna do whatever it takes.what i was asking is-wether 128kbps is bytes/sec or bits /sec..

oldmonk

Broken In
well in that case ,

128 kbps =128/8 kBps =16 klo bytes per second!

A friend of mine in bangalore was having the same problem as youre having.
A call to airtel sorted out the problem. Obviously if they promise 128 kbps and youre paying for 128 kbps then you have to get 128 kbps- otherwise dont pay them. Switch to some other ISP!!!!!

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
oldmonk said:
well in that case ,

128 kbps =128/8 kBps =16 klo bytes per second!

A friend of mine in bangalore was having the same problem as youre having.
A call to airtel sorted out the problem. Obviously if they promise 128 kbps and youre paying for 128 kbps then you have to get 128 kbps- otherwise dont pay them. Switch to some other ISP!!!!!

Hi,
Is that so....ur fren had airtel DSL.Then i will also cal and blast them.but i am not sure it will help.still i will do it.i am geting max12.1kbps so that means kilo bits per sec rt....

daj123

Journeyman
You are getting 12.1KiloBytes/sec while you should be getting 16KiloBytes/sec. So call them up and tell them whats wrong and that they HAVE to fix it.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
daj123 said:
You are getting 12.1KiloBytes/sec while you should be getting 16KiloBytes/sec. So call them up and tell them whats wrong and that they HAVE to fix it.

hi,
dude i dunno if i am geting kilo bytes or kilo bits...while downloading i am geting 5 to 12 kbps...i dont know whats that.could u elaborate.

adorablesrini

Broken In
I suggest take a connection from a Company which majors in Internet connection like Sify,DishnetDSL etc.Atleast their staff is experienced not fools like Airtels or oranges!!!

daj123

Journeyman
krisjr said:
dude i dunno if i am geting kilo bytes or kilo bits...while downloading i am geting 5 to 12 kbps...i dont know whats that.could u elaborate.
You're getting kilobytes. Just remember one thing, if you're using a download manager or IE or Mozilla for downloading stuff then you will always see the download speed in KILOBYTES. As opposed to this if you're using some speedtest on the internet then they will always show your speed in KILOBITS.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
daj123 said:
krisjr said:
You're getting kilobytes. Just remember one thing, if you're using a download manager or IE or Mozilla for downloading stuff then you will always see the download speed in KILOBYTES. As opposed to this if you're using some speedtest on the internet then they will always show your speed in KILOBITS.

tx dude for the reply.appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom