Dreamweaver blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've made a site using dreamweaver using layers to type text. I used a free host to host the site. But i adde banners and the text got misplaced . Anybody has any idea how to fix text layers at one place?? Plz hellp me. Here the site url:-

*dbzindia.tripod.com

:?: :?: :?:

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Don't use excessive layers...

Try to use as much tables as you can..
Layers cause rendering problems in some browsers...

NikhilVerma

Padawan
U can use the pic as background for a table and then add the text in it...

It would be better if you zip your site and post it here so I can correct it...

Butterfly

Broken In
Next Big Thing,

Try not to use layers , its will just make u go crazy when tables dosent stay exactly in the same place where u wanted it.

Best is always use tables, and try to make your on template based. SO that when u make change on 1st page so that it will reflect it on the whole site.

Journeyman
Dear Next_big_thing,

When you use Layers in DreamWeaver you have to understand Relative and Absolute Positioning of Layers.

When you use Absolute postioning, The layers will be positioned in relation to the Upper Left corner of the WebPage. Sometimes it will postion it to the <body> tag making this as the point of origin.

In Relative Positioning it will postion relative to another Object. For eg: relative to the bottom of a Table!

if you are mixing the 2 types? or Nesting layers with mixed types, that might be the reason for your mess-up.

Journeyman
Dear NBT,

I just had a look on the source code of ur site.

And I think , What is happening is : You haven't used any Tables. You have just inserted the Top Image "banner.jpg" and drawn 2 layers.
One for the main body and one for menu.

Now the Layers are use Absolute Positioning by default. And they consider the Top Left corner of the page as the Origin.

When you upload your site to Tripod and view on their server, they include a banner of theirs at the Top, which shifts ur Top 'banner.jpg' image down.
Although the layers are still in the same position cos they still consider the same origin of top left corner and hence they are absolutely postioned. This causes the shifting down of the top banner to overlap with the layers.

You need to include some tables into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom