Downloading at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

genxcoder

Right off the assembly line
I have a BSNL Dataone connection and I have one silly question.I download during the free hours at night and due to this the computer stays on continuosly for 10 hrs on an average in a day.Is any harm caused to the computer by this?

kjuvale

Pharmaguru
alos one question the router or modem provided by bsnl also gets hot, is there any harm to modem when i kept t on for more than 10 hrs. please reply

mohit

The Hardware Labs
no harm to the modem either .. my modem is on for as long as 3-4 days continuous (even more at times) .. it gets damn hot but i havent facd any probs till now.

if anything happens ill just go and get it replaced from them .. :D

jack// ani

In the zone
hey,

but i feel there is some proplem....when modem turns too hot. one day i saw modem actually hanged, when i left on for night download, in morning i saw ACT leds blinking alternately...but no data was sent and recieved at all!!!!

Nimda

l33t n00b!
I have a BSNL Dataone connection and I have one silly question.I download during the free hours at night and due to this the computer stays on continuosly for 10 hrs on an average in a day.Is any harm caused to the computer by this?

Shouldn't cause any problems. Get some temperature monitoring software like Motherboard Monitor. Also, clean the processor fans and mobo once in a while to prevent accumulation of dust.

Kniwor

Learner
genxcoder said:

lol.... my computer sees a shutdown only once or twice a week....

moreover it is often encoding video or playing games... which makes it a 100% cpu usage for 18-20 hours continuously very often....

it is all silicon my friend.... no big deal

on the other hand if u shut it down and start it very often.... it is not good for silicon... the temperature rises and falls and rises... this causes expansion and contraction and expansion in chips...... ever heard of withering of rocks....??? lol..

mohit

The Hardware Labs
@kniwor
its called "weathering of rocks" and not "withering" ..lol... jst wanted to pull ur leg as i was getting bored... dnt mind.

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
no harm. i kept my modem and computer on for a whole day when i was downloading ubuntu...

if u keep ur monitir off, it will consume less power and will save ur modem or computer from damage.

only overvolatage can damage it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom