Download unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujjwal

Padawan
Try linux, or maybe FreeBSD. If you opt for linux, better go for something like Slackware or DeLi Linux, and don't install X-Windows if you have < 16MB RAM.

www.slackware.com
www.freebsd.org

You can also try Minix, if you want a small and functional unix distribution - *www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/minix.html

h4xbox

Journeyman
I want "Exact" unix .. I mean it was something like just command line ( no gui mode i guess) thts how i remember while studying unix at a coaching centre

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
how to

O.k how do i prevent the x-window config from installing and it has a 600md harddisk so i cant be so generous on space further is damn small unix just a bootable version. i want to study networking and stuff using unix do i have to install the drivers for the lan card that card is older than 10 yrs will the drivers get installed automatically

ujjwal

Padawan
Most distributions will have an option to select which packages to install, there you should deselect the entire X Windows system, all X applications, and desktop environments like KDE and Gnome. Preferably install only the base system and things like documentation, man pages, networking, and development packages.

I would really recommend slackware linux or FreeBSD here, they are very close to the original unix standards.

If you want something easier to install, Vector Linux 4.3 standard edition will be a good choice (www.vectorlinux.com). It gives you the choice of excluding X-Windows.

Damn Small Linux is a bootable cd but it can be installed too, good choice if you want a GUI to work in too.

Your LAN card may or may not be automatically configured (depends on which distro, and what lan card you use), but you can get the drivers from its manufacturers site.

h4xbox

Journeyman
thanks ujjwal... I got yo point( I am gonna try slack very soon) I will use FC3 for a while and then goto slackware :D

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
I went to the free bsd site my comp is very old so it wont boot off a cd so i downloaded those flooppy images each of 1mb 5floppies. My question is r these enough for the entire installation or i should download the entire iso images pls help soon.
And further wat iso images should i download is it enough if i download the minimilist download iso and the checksum.md5 iso is that important if i am using floppies to install

ujjwal

Padawan
The floppy images will allow you to boot into the installation process, and from there you need to specify the source of the installation media. So yes, you need to have the ISO too :)

ujjwal

Padawan
And further wat iso images should i download is it enough if i download the minimilist download iso and the checksum.md5 iso is that important if i am using floppies to install

I guess you only need the disc 1 if you want a bare installation of freebsd, that is, without X and extra software.

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
O.k then i should attach a cd rom from one of my other computers boot of the floppies and specify the cd as the installation media alright.And wat is the cheksum.md5 iso needed for.I didnt download free bsd form the ftp sites but from another site .Which didnt host any checksum.md5 iso image But only the cd1 cd2 and the mimimilist cd isos.I downloaded the floppy images from the free bsd ftp site which incidentally also contains the checksum.md5 floppy image.Pls help me on this

ujjwal

Padawan
You won't be needing a CD drive at all, if you have the downloaded ISO on the computer. FreeBSD supports many different methods for installation, check the documentation at the site :) you can use the floppies to get a working environment, from where you can mount the ISO images present on the hard drive and start the installation :)

Oh and you don't need the checksum.md5, I think thats just to verify the integrity of the downloaded files.

OP
V

vasanth_12345

Journeyman
Is it a good idea to download only the first cds of other installations to install a minimal boot in my other two comps or will it be flavourless It isnt easy downloading also those images counting up to 2gb or more so can u pls tell me another easy way to get mandrake 10.1 cds and redhat 9.0 cds pls help :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom