download speed in LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

taken

Journeyman
how can i see the transfer rate of data in a local LAN?

when i download programs from net, it shows that its is say 12 KBps etc. i want the same thing for my LAN data transfer so that i can gurantee that my 10/100 MBPS switch works. it normally will work but i want to make a positive guess rather then just go by manufacturers terms.

pls help me out

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
In Windows XP .. the task manager shows it.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del .. switch to network tab .. it's there.

-----
alibi

susk21

Broken In
you can also see ot using ODC.You just have to start Yhub and connect it to another user from your LAN(he should have ODC too!!).You can actually see the speed with which you are transfering the data.If you have a good switch, it should give you a speed of 5-6 mbps and if so-so then like me:: 1mbps.
Sometimes the speed also depends on your LAN card.

OP
T

taken

Journeyman
hi alib_i, reg the said solution by you, the figures shown in dialog box is just the speed of LAN and it remain contant 10 MBPS. we just cant see the actual data transfer rate...

yeah!!! susk21.. i see your re as my ultimate solution but it seems that you forgot to give me the link for the said solution. i have searched the net but just cant figure out the s/w that you mentioned. pls do the needful.. am desperately in need of it.

susk21

Broken In
sorry man!!
here are the links:

ODC: *gempond.com/odc/index.php

Y Hub:*www.dcdev.net/YnHub/?page=download

see the sites and you will come to know everything about it.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
@taken ..
why cant you see the data transfer .. the green coloured graph says it all.
the 10Mbps is maximum .. and "Network Utilization" shown below gives what percentage of maximum speed do you use.
10% utilization means 1Mbps .. and so on.

ODC is just a P2P software ... once you connect with a hub .. you'll see what data transfer is taking place through ODC ..
it wont show the general data transfer taking place in lan by any other software/file sharing

----
alibi

OP
T

taken

Journeyman
hi alib_i,
thanks for the Re. i have gone through it now only and found out what you said. well, this is what i wanted and it was just below my nose.

just one more query... we now a days see that NIC cards having 10/100 MBPS speed marks. now we get max of 10 MBPS only, where has this 100 MBPS gone. is it that its just for name sake are can we expolit it which is hidden in settings somewhere???

reg other ODC stuff, am just having a look. may be in some other field it may come handy.

thanks for the info again...

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
AFAIK .. there is a physical switch on the lan card to shift between 10/100Mbps line (not sure though)

Moreover .. it depends on your connection port.
If you're connected to a 10Mbps line .. then setting the lan card on 100Mbps wont make any difference.
It's your connection .. which is 10Mbps .. the card cant make it faster.

-----
alibi

manmay

Journeyman
ok this is it ....
use killcopy software (freeware) for knowing the transfer speds while downloading from lan or even from 1 partition to another.
u can even make killcopy the default copying manager..so when ever u do ne copy/paste or cutpaste jobs it wil get activatesd.

other features include resume broken transfers(a boon for slow lans), manageable buffer, pausing, multiple simultaneous operations, parallel threads, skinable, controllable speed,...

i dont think u can bypass this software. its too good.

for me data transfer speeds are.

100mbps lan.----9-10 MBps

1 partition to another partition (both partition on sata hdd)-------12-13 MBps

1 partition to another (sata partition to ide partition)---20-21 MBps

and ide to sata partition ----26-28 MBps

MBps--mega bytes and NOT mega bits per sec

chill

download link for killcopy

*www.tucows.com/get/305972_126152

manmay

Journeyman
the network utilization in the task manager only gives an idea abt the percentage of the bandwidth that is in use.

but not a good method to know abt the actual transfer speds.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
network utilization is THE actual transfer speed .. shown as percentage of bandwidth .. instead of actual mpbs value.
it's not wrong atleast

-----
alibi

longhorn

Right off the assembly line
try this-- download networx software to test ur network download and upload speed then take any decision.
thanks
longhorn

OP
T

taken

Journeyman
hi manmay!!! reg the software, i have installed and tested with my network. copy from (IDE) C: to D: dosent go beyond 8 Kbps i.e. 8 Mbps not MBps. so i think your details is not what i get. can you get a screen shot of your configuration so that i can test it with more accuracy. as such my LAN card shows me 10 Mbps and for ur info, my LAN has 10 port switch.

other s/w am on it.

oh oh !! is there a tweak to making xp display network utilization in windows task manager to Kbps format then this % format?????

it really nice that i got some stuff i never ever dreamt of. thanks for the contents.

manmay

Journeyman
my config is
athlon 64 bit 3000+ 939 pin
512 mb ddr 333 mhz
ecs elite rs480m mobo( ati radeon x200)
sata 80 gb hitachi 7200
seagate 80 gb ide 7200
sony dru 810a

*img58.imageshack.us/img58/4680/killcopyidetosata0qx.th.jpg

manmay

Journeyman
if u wanna know the transfer speed while copying from lan then even the simple dimple dumeter shows it yaar.

search fer it on google

manmay

Journeyman
if u wanna know the transfer speed while copying from lan then even the simple dimple dumeter shows it yaar.

search fer it on google

manmay

Journeyman
*img96.imageshack.us/img96/7584/killcopyconfiguration2jt.th.jpg

kilcopy configuration

hey ppl how come the no of posts on the left side is increasing by 3 on every single post

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
@manmay

Why do you have to post simultaneously so many times....

You can easily edit ur post and get it updated !

One might get the (wrong%%$#) impression that you are trying to increase your post count !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom