Not open for further replies.

pottas

Right off the assembly line
Please solve my doubts. Plzz.....

1. What are torrents ?

2. What is the use of
torrents ?

3. To
download torrents fast we have to need more peers ? Why do we need more peers ?

4. Which is the best site for downloading torrents (more peers) ?

5. Torrents are more faster than regular downloads ?

6. Why some people are interested in torrents ?

7. Torrents are legal ?

Please.. explain me in a easy way.

k6153r

Broken In
Torrent means stream of water.

But it is BitTorrent that we really bother about.

1) *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.torrent
2) ^^.
3) Each peer contributes to the speed, so more he peers more the speed.
4) PirateBay ofcourse use *www.bittorrent.com/.
5) Usually.
6) It's ethical (when you want to ease your fav. software's developer's hosting costs), and sometimes not-ethical (when you download illegal things).
7) It depends on what you are downloading.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hey...u shouldn't have recommended him any names...............
he can google it anytime with whatever query combinations he wants..........

Torrent working is good but I encountered some people in this forum thinks sharing torrent downloading links is against our policies.........:cool:
I guess I've to visit the rules thread once again.........;)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
5. Torrents are more faster than regular downloads ?
Not necessarily. yesterday I had the opportunity to download Windows 2003 Trial Server from Microsoft's Web Site I got nothing below 225 KBPS. The whole download finished in like 2 hours and 15 minutes. The speed you get from the servers are going to be base don the traffic and the bandwidth the host has got to give to you. Using torrents though the speed you are going to get is going to be relative to the number of Seeds/Peers for the certain product you are downloading. Please note that I downloaded CentOS 5.2 a few days ago and that was 3.5 GB. I was able to maintain 100 KBps + through out the download.

6. Why some people are interested in torrents ?
Because its one of the best way to get Linux Distros for me.

jebasingh85

Broken In
7. Torrents are legal ?

If u r in U.S it is not. There r actually firms there that can prosecute u if they got evidence. They might sue your a$$.

It acutually depens on the nation and its laws.

slugger

Banned
If u r in U.S it is not. There r actually firms there that can prosecute u if they got evidence. They might sue your a$$.

there is no country...no law in the world that will sue you if use torrents for downloading freewares or software/content covered under GPL or CCL

download as much as you want nobody will bother you

jebasingh85

Broken In
there is no country...no law in the world that will sue you if use torrents for downloading freewares or software/content covered under GPL or CCL
Let me make myself clear. I am not referring to OSS/freeware but all those new movies and literally 1,000's of copyrighted s/w that are posted on torrent sites. It might be technically legal but if u r in U.S with its many monitoring agencies it is not safe.
get the idea!*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif

goobimama

 Macboy
Let me make myself clear. I am not referring to OSS/freeware but all those new movies and literally 1,000's of copyrighted s/w that are posted on torrent sites. It might be technically legal but if u r in U.S with its many monitoring agencies it is not safe.
get the idea!*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif
No way is downloading copyrighted material legal in any country or state. Nowhere. Just that it is not feasable for most countries to catch each and every individual (which is the only real way you can prosecute someone) so the trade continues.

Sites like piratebay and mininova DO NOT host the content. They just host the torrent file, which is not owned by anyone.

slugger

Banned

No country considers downloading of copyright content as legal.

You are confusing the legality of tracker sites with that of the legality of enduser using the tracker site to download pirated content

Tracker sites are considered legal in many countries because they themselves don't hold the pirated content. But that same country will consider you illegal if you use that tracker site to download illegal content

jebasingh85

Broken In
No way is downloading copyrighted material legal in any country or state. Nowhere. Just that it is not feasable for most countries to catch each and every individual (which is the only real way you can prosecute someone) so the trade continues.

Sites like piratebay and mininova DO NOT host the content. They just host the torrent file, which is not owned by anyone.

Ur IP address is just enough to block ur connection to Internet Dude. Oh! By the way there are several such intances where ppl got letters from Monitoring Agencies in Europe & U.S but these are rare but they have happed.
U might thank ur GOD for living in India*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

goobimama

 Macboy
That's why I said not feasible in India. You do realise that it just doesn't involve blocking the IP of a person. They have to prosecute the person in a court of law and find him guilty and it ends up being a long drawn legal proceeding. Our country so far has bigger problems than catching small time pirates.

As for those getting letters and such in the USA and Europe, well they have powerful agencies like MPAA and RIAA which are putting pressure on those governments to stop piracy.

U might thank ur GOD for living in India
Are you accusing me of piracy? While I am very happy to be living in India, especially Goa, I do not like to be called a pirate, especially by people whom I don't know very well.

jebasingh85

Broken In
I am not accusing anybody.

I am just saying that downloading and sharing torrents might not be as safe as ppl think. Who knows a day might come that in our own country that innocent ppl might find their Internet connection blocked for downloading & sharing content. I am just informing!

Already big Music labels and Hollywood studios are joining hands on piracy! MPAA & RIAA might not be far away for India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom