DoT to bar calls from Chinese phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
NEW DELHI: If you bought a cheap Chinese mobile phone recently, the investment might turn out to be expensive.

Calls from such phones may be barred since most don’t carry the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number, a unique 14-digit code used to identify valid devices.

Even locally-assembled handsets that don’t have IMEI numbers may be barred, according to a recent note by the department of telecom (DoT).

There are about 1.6 crore Chinese-made and locally-assembled handsets in use that don’t have IMEI numbers. Even mobile phones that have all zeroes or no zero in their IMEI code will also be barred.

The DoT move comes after security agencies found the mobile phones used by terrorists in the recent blasts did not have IMEI numbers. Sales of Chinese handsets constitute about 13.3 per cent (or Rs 4,000 crore) of the Rs 30,000-crore annual mobile handset market in the country.

Full story at : *infotech.indiatimes.com/News/DoT_to_bar_calls_from_Chinese_phones/articleshow/3593481.cms

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Isn't there any way to ADD an IMEI number to these sets?? I know that you can change IMEI numbers, however it's illegal to do so.

JAK

What the Heck !
@NucleusKore
Its pretty easy to change IMEI numbers in chinese handsets.. just google..
secondly reputed mobile companies like Nokia etc make it a little difficult to change IMEI / ESN numbers using conventional methods..but then why do we have the "JAF" and "MT box"..
Just to make a point.. I had purchased a chinese CDMA handset from "GAFFAR MARKET" Delhi which allowed me to change ESN(for CDMA) numbers through the phone keypad...by punching a few codes that is.. :D

iinfi

mekalodu
psttt!! psttt!! shhhhhhhhh!!!!
dont tell DOT that u can change IMEI numbers easily, else they will ban mobile fones in all forms.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@NucleusKore
Its pretty easy to change IMEI numbers in chinese handsets.. just google..
secondly reputed mobile companies like Nokia etc make it a little difficult to change IMEI / ESN numbers using conventional methods..but then why do we have the "JAF" and "MT box"..
Just to make a point.. I had purchased a chinese CDMA handset from "GAFFAR MARKET" Delhi which allowed me to change ESN(for CDMA) numbers through the phone keypad...by punching a few codes that is.. :D
Need more information on this.
How did you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom