dos-xp conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

friend_sunit

Broken In
hello, i work on some dos programs and on some dos programs. when i realized that i was in the ancient world since i was using windows 98. i decided to upgrade to xp. but when i upgraded, the dos programs did not work. I contacted some computer engineers and they said that xp did not support dos programs. but i can't afford to leave the programs, so i again went back to the acient world i.e. win98. Isn't there any program or any other way that can help me run my dos programs on xp. since i was lacking many things for not using xp, i at last had an idea and had both the two os installed on two different partitions. i is working temporarily but............

hello everyone, i tried all the replies received by you but unfortunately none of them worked. I am still unable to run Tally 4.5 on windows XP. I know that Tally 7.2 is available, i have it, but Tally 4.5 is Tally 4.5. I want to continue using it.

Last edited:

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Which programs r u talking about?
Although there is some problem with DOS in XP , but there are solutions to many of the things.
Please give more details....

yashved

Broken In
You can use the Compatibility option for running DOS Programs in XP.
To do this, right click on the main DOS file (i.e. exe file) and click Properties. Click on Compatibility tab and tick the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". Select Windows 98 from drop down box. Click OK and now your program should run well.... :) If you still have a problem, do let me know.... :)

OP
friend_sunit

friend_sunit

Broken In
Hey phenom, the program is Tally 4.5 and when i run it it says that insufficient files provided by dos. what should i do.

and hey vignesh u hv told me to use Doxbox, but u forgot to mention how can i get it.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Yep not all dos based programs run in XP.Well u can try getting a XP version of the software if available.If not, then install WIN 98 with XP.Dual boot ur PC.

OP
friend_sunit

friend_sunit

Broken In
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
You can get DOSBox for windows from here.

hi if went to the website mentioned by u but was unable to download. plz help me. it asked for some mirrors what are these, and there were names of some countries but... india was not mentioned.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Mirrors are basically multiple copies available for download from different locations. It is not necessary for the mirror to be in India, choose the nearest mirror (typically) for download...

Arun

OP
friend_sunit

friend_sunit

Broken In
hello everyone, i tried all the replies received by you but unfortunately none of them worked. I am still unable to run Tally 4.5 on windows XP. I know that Tally 7.2 is available, i have it, but Tally 4.5 is Tally 4.5. I want to continue using it.

vandit

In the zone
maybe its time microsoft should improve on its DOS platform too...tell this problem to microsoft people...:eek:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well .. DOS is very much vulnerable .... thats the reason for omiting it now-a-days ... .... XP doesn't feature true DOS .. more of a DOS Shell .. and may things don't work .... i think u better kep dual booting between XP and Win98 ...

OP
friend_sunit

friend_sunit

Broken In
I don't think so. Microsoft should have forgotten DOS after all they have survived for many years on the base of dos. So, they should have included it in XP. and i hope someonehere will forward this to BIll Gates before he retires so that he may include it in Vista.

kuhupihu

Broken In
Even I am facing this problem while trying to run Tally45 in WinXp.
It gives error "insuffecient files provided by dos".

I had tried to edit config.nt and set files=100, but I think this setting dos'nt work in XP.

If any one get the soultion for this please post it.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Running it via VirtualPC Tutorial
*www.digitalamit.com/blog/blog/105.html

That's about the only thing I could locate on the topic.

Edit: Weow! I got fooled :( All active members posted here lol ..

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes,, the thread is an year old.. but the problem still exists :( :(
^^ Had you downloaded DOSBox??
I downloaded just now and played Aladdin which wasn't playable in Windows XP......:D
Try Downloading it *www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 here, it will work.........

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Use VMWare Workstation . Its the best virtualisation software which will let u install and run dos on ur system without doing anything with ur system files
*www.vmware.com/products/ws/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom