DON'T USE GOOGLE DESTOP

DO YOU TRUST GOOGLE???

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
A high-profile privacy watchdog group has a terse warning for business and consumers: Do not use the new version of Google Desktop.
The nonprofit Electronic Frontier Foundation said a new feature added to Google Desktop on Feb. 9 is a serious privacy and security risk because of the way a user's data is stored on Google's servers.

The new "Share Across Computers" feature stores Web browsing history, Microsoft Office documents, PDF and text files on Google's servers to allow a user to run remote searches from multiple computers, but, according to the EFF, this presents a lucrative target to malicious hackers.

"[We urge] consumers not to use this feature, because it will make their personal data more vulnerable to subpoenas from the government and possibly private litigants, while providing a convenient one-stop-shop for hackers who've obtained a user's Google password," the EFF said in a statement.

Google says it has to store the data on its own servers to deal with situations when one of a user's computers may be turned off or otherwise be offline when new or updated items are indexed on a different machine. "We store this data temporarily on Google Desktop servers and automatically delete older flies, and your data is never accessible by anyone doing a Google search," the Web search giant insists.

SOURCE:EXTREME TECH

BRAVO!! MY 100TH POST

ujjwal

Padawan
This only affects those who have enabled the sharing option. Why stop using the whole application because of it?

aakash

Broken In
what abt the space that GD uses for indexing? I goes on increasing day by day. It even reached > 400MB. One more thing that I want to mention is, even after removing files from your computer, it shows them while your search thru it.... What is the need of that? Cant it do smth like 'de-indexing'??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom