Dont know is it CD or Window's problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

digi_sam

Right off the assembly line
well problem starts here....

:( sometimes when i use my CD Drive to watch movies or to access data CDs suddenly my CD-Drive dissapears from every where in windows...its not not even seen in computer management in control panel..... :eek:

then i need to restart to gain access to CD Drive for any other CDs....
after restart CD Drive comes back and seen everywher but if again i tries to access those CDs the problem is as it is....

i want to know the reason n the possible solution for this......
is it the badly written CD or the problm of Windows.....

well i m using Windows XP pro.....

please help me out......

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
didnt i see u post the same thing in IC-chip forum too ???

anyway here it is again

ust try these and see if it helps

- does the error occur while reading any cd or at random .
- as soon as u get the error . restart the computer and enter the bios and check if cdrom is detected in the bios . if not try the drive detection .
- clear the cmos by steps given in ur m/b manual and recheck bios to see if it is detected .

- if not detected . check bios advanced settings , u have an option for onchip ide device .

- replace all cables and make sure the jumpers behind the drives are set to proper settings ie . use them as either master or slave , depending on their position on the cable . if ur using cable select , use it for all drives , if ur using specific like master/slave , make sure its done for both primary ide and seconday .

switch the hdd from primary to secondary and cdrom other way around and see if u get the error . this way u can isolate if its a prob with the device or particular ide controller .

- in device manager in xp , check under primary ide controller and secondary ide controller and see if they are in dma mode . remove both those devices and restart and xp will hopefully set things right

- read somewhere 40 conductor cables are best for optical drives

- i solved my prob koz of faulty jumper in hdd which made the other drives in primary controllers disappear even in bios

- if u need more steps read my previous post on a similar prob and almost all troubleshooting steps i did .

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Before you try the last step do this...
1) Inter change all the IDE drive ... Rest jumper settings
2) Update the Chipset driver of Motherboard..( As this usually happens due to wrong IDE Installation driver
3) Try Acessing Cd rom drive from Command Prompt ...to check wheather your hardware is right ...( Remember to boot in XP
Safe Mode )
4) The last step if none works . Run Regedit or open the registry . Locate the key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
Select
Double-click the Default key and note the Value Data number. This Default Value data is used in the next step.
Click the small plus sign (+) next to each of the following folders, in order:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
ControlSet001 (if the Default Value data was 1)
or
ControlSet002 (if the Default Value data was 2)
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Right-click LowerFilters from the right side of the window and click Delete.
Right-click UpperFilters from the right side of the window and click Delete.
Exit Registry Editor and restart the computer.
Hope this works for you. Best of luck Pal

:p

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
@fresh : what does the last step regarding the registry edit do ??? seems i havent tried that on mine . is it for win2k and winxp ?

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
The last step is taking when there is wrong installation of Cd Drive drivers in registry upon overriding default windows Drivers by third party drivers cd writing software or Cd softwares..etc.
This tip Appies to windows Xp and possible 2000 ( But im not sure about 2000 though )
Have fun ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom